We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

London, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

Will be in Malta for 7 days (with 5 others). Trying to plan an itinerary but there seems to be a lack of information regarding buses. Are they running on the weekends or not? I searched on Google and the official Malta transport website and nothing comes up yet I'm sure there has to be?

Anyway, my initial itn. is as follows -

First 2 NIGHTS - accommodation in Marsaxlokk

Day 1 (FRI) - Mdina, Rabat, Dingli caves, Blue Grotto, Hagar Qim

Question - Can we do all this in a day? How does this work going by bus (starting from Marsaxlokk)??

Day 2 (SAT) - Valletta, Three Cities, Silema

Day 3 (SUN) - Leave Marsaxlokk for Gozo. Arrival at Gozo 1pm

Explore Gozo

3 NIGHTS in Gozo

Question - Is it possible to walk around on this island? Are the buses frequent on this island and easy to get around?

Day 4 (MON) - Blue Lagoon, other beaches around that area.

Question - Again would this be easier by car?

Day 5 (TUES) - Unsure, ideas?

Day 6 (WED) - Back to Valletta (from Gozo)

1 NIGHT in Valletta

Day 7 - Valletta / Silema, unsure?

Depart late evening flight back home

So we have plenty of time. Would you recommend to do Mdina, Rabat, Dingli, Blue Grotto etc. on Day 6 instead?

11 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
177 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

Malta Public Transport do operate at weekends.

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/

I think day 1 is asking a lot - you are better spending more time in Mdina/Rabat. Allow 1 hour for Hagar Qim.

I would recommend a slight detour to the Craft village near Mdina. You can catch a local bus.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
174 reviews
2. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

The buses are straightforward. They do run at weekends.

The timetables for each day are here;

https://www.public transport.com.mt/bus-timetable-library

On some timetables you have to click on a little arrow, to the top left, where it shows Monday-Friday or Saturday, Sunday etc. To get the day required

If you have a smartphone, download the Tallinja app and use that.

Google maps route planner has data too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

Double decker tour bus (HOHO), might be good for Gozo. and Day 1.

As there will be 6 of you, negotiate on the price.

If you are going this month, don't even think about long walks. It will be very hot, with little shade. Gozo has less traffic, and much less urban, some lovely walks to be had.

Just not in August.

London, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
4. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

Yeah this is the one I was using - www.public transport.com.mt/bus-timetable-library

thanks

However, it does appear there are no buses from Valletta to Rabat on the weekends - https:/…50

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

They could get off at the craft Village (Ta'quali) then walk to mdina and Rabat along the road after its only 5/10 minutes tops, rather than wait for a bus for about one stop.

Day 1 could be done but it won't leave a lot of time to spend at the places, also your day to Valletta, 3 cities, silema Valletta really needs a full day a lot of the main sights are here, you could do the 3 cities ferry from there, silema where as it is nice with some charming buildings and maltas largest shopping mall unless you want to shop or want more bars and restaurants maybe give it a miss.

Eileen

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
945 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

There are regular buses from Valletta to Rabat, every day of the week. You need a number 51, 52, or 53. Also the 56 but this one does a detour through Ta'Qali.

Incidentally I have walked from Ta'Qali to Rabat (post 5) on a couple of occasions. I would say it's more like 30 minutes of uphill slog on busy roads which don't even have footpaths most of the way! Not really recommended!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

I do not think I would fancy walking up that hill to Rabat especially in the heat at the moment

There again I guess I am getting too old for that sort of nonsense !!

Graham

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

As the others have said, most bus services on Malta run 7 days a week. However service 50 is a commuter service so you need to ignore it.

If you are finding the bus services on Malta confusing - this simplified bus map may help you to understand the best ones to use (it is still current except it omits the TD (Tallinja Direct) Summer extra routes) - see http://tinyurl.com/Maltabusmap .

With regards to Gozo, most of the buses only run once an hour and most radiate from Valletta - see globestudios.co.uk/maltabybus/…gozo2018.pdf for an easy to understand map, The Hop on Hop-off tours therefore tend to be more time efficient.

P-t-B

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
174 reviews
9. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

Slight correction to Phils post

"With regards to Gozo, most of the buses only run once an hour and most radiate from Valletta"

Buses routes on Gozo mainly radiate from VICTORIA

(Guess when know what was meant though)

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.

If you've never been to Popeye Village, it's nice to go. But it might not be worthed in Winter

Reply to: Confusion over bus time and routes - trying to plan itn.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Malta