We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

I am a 39 year old male and currently planning a 5 day solo visit to Reykjavik in first week of September. My main interest is photography and would like to see the Golden Circle, South Coast and Snæfellsnes peninsula. I know that probably the best way is to rent a car and go on my own. But I am not sure of driving alone in an unknown territory. I am also perturbed about the considerable excess on a car rental despite taking maximum insurance. I would have compromised on shared day tours but I haven't yet found any guaranteed departures as a tour is likely to be cancelled in the event of a minimum number of people not booking the tour.

Should I plan to drive alone? Are these destinations easily accessed without going onto gravel roads? What happens in the event of an unforeseen vehicular accident when I am driving alone?

If I choose to go with a shared tour for more peace of mind, are there any companies which offer guaranteed departures irrespective of the number of people booking? If not, then can you suggest best companies which are most likely to be running full tours? Any other tips for booking such tours? Thanks.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

It is VERY unlikely that tours will be cancelled due to few participants.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

Bus tours don't request a minimum, since they will probably have 40 people on the tour anyway. Then there're minibus tours, and again, impossible that they don't meet the minimum.

But the choicest tours, those where they request a minimum of 2, 3 or 4 participants to run the tour, they could be trickier. Maybe you were looking into photography tours, or super jeep tours. To comfort you, if the tour is to the Golden Circle, Landmannalaugar, Thorsmork, or the South Coast, there're very good chances that minimums are met. Come what may, the operator will have a Plan B for their customers. Either they offer you another of their tours, or the same tour, with one of their partners.

But to answer your original question, I would recommend doing BOTH. One or two tours, and also driving on your own, to the places that are most accessible and easy.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

Thanks for your response. Yes, I was looking at super jeep tours with Discover and other companies as they seemed to have a better itinerary. Can you also guide me about which tour companies I should consider? And what are the destinations which I can try on my own?

4. Re: Solo Travel: Car or Shared Day Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2017, 10:47