We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my planned itinerary - what do you think?

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
my planned itinerary - what do you think?

Hi all,

We arrive at on october 29th at 10pm and plan to hire a car with gps from the airport. We will check the aurora forecast but hopefully stop on route to reykjavik to view the NL. Are there any particularly nice spots between the airport and reykjavik worth stopping at to try and see the lights?

The next day after a slow start we plan to spend walking around the old town part of reykjavik and then taking an afternoon whale watching boat trip. In the evening we plan to enjoy a nice restaurant and if we have not seen the NLs yet and the forecast is good drive out of reykjavik to try and hunt the lights once more.

The next day we plan to drive the golden circle route at our own pace and spend evening inr reykjavik once again chasing the lights at night if we have not already seen them.

The following day we plan to spend a couple hours at the blue lagoon and the afternoon and evening in reykjavik.

We fly home early the next morning.

Any advice or suggestions?

Should we try and see Skogafoss as part of the golden circle trip or tag it on to the morning trip to the blue lagoon?

Are there any remote but beutiful villages worth stopping at?

Thank you

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
11,008 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: my planned itinerary - what do you think?

You'd be stepping up the pace of your golden circle tour quite a bit by adding Skógafoss to it. Skógafoss and BL are in two opposite directions, but could easily fit into a whole days itinerary. A restaurant in the south might also help your day-plan to be more relaxed if combining BL and Skógafoss in one day.

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: my planned itinerary - what do you think?

Thanks fornyour advice unnar. Are their any towns or villages/ view points you recommend either on the golden tour or a seprrate trip outside of rekyjavik?

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: my planned itinerary - what do you think?

I would take Skogarfoss early and then drive to BL via road 34 (at Selfoss) - 38 - 427 and 43 (see googlemaps). There are great restaurants at Eyrabakki on the way back and the views along 427 can be breathtaking. Plus you could take a short divert to Krysjuvik (42) to see some thermal activity. If you take the day early you could be at the BL at 15:00 or so, giving you time for a great soak and then a night out in Reykjavik.

Regarding the NL. The main issue tends to be light-polution from nearby towns and roads. If the forecast is positive on the night of your arrival then consider taking a drive along roads 43 or 42 on the way from the airport. Once you get off the beaten track then it should be dark enough.

BTW – some of the roads I mention definitely justify gravel protection!

4. Re: my planned itinerary - what do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 10:48