We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

may travel new routes

Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
may travel new routes

Hi,

When is the best time to visit? is may Ok? will the city be busy then and the nightlife good?

is the midnight sun available in may? will we have enough time from friday night to monday to explore everything?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: may travel new routes

May is great, the days are getting longer, but no midnight sun (sunrise 0414 and sunset 2237 on 15 May, according to www.timeanddate.com).

RKV will be busy but not too packed, as June through August are major visitor months. The nightlife seems to be consistently thrumming, no matter what time of year.

A quick trip will let you see some sights, but if you want to do a Golden Circle tour, that'll take most of a day.

It's still worth it, even for a short time.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: may travel new routes

moggy - just got back today from RVK. Having visited in the absolute 'off-season' I'd have to say there would be no time of year you shouldn't consider for visiting.

You'll be able to see a lot between Friday and Monday - even if you are limiting yourself to Reykjavik.

Bring lots of money though - this town is not cheap! :)

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: may travel new routes

hi, thanks for your replies. im going to go on the new route from manchester to kef. at bank holiday weekend at the end of may.

how do we get to the blue lagoon? is there a hotel you can recommend? 3-4*?

vicki

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: may travel new routes

The Blue Lagoon is situated 10km off the road that connects RVK and the airport (Keflavik). The turn off is probably about 15-20km out of Keflavik, or 30km from RVK. Reykjavik Excursions do tours there which are about 3400ISK. They also combine it with other tours making a whole day out. (Check www.re.is for more details.) Alternatively FlyBus goes there on the way to or from the airport - so you can do it as the first or last thing you do in Iceland if you wish. Personally I'd prefer to go back to my hotel after to wash my hair - you'll need to use loads of conditioner to soften it again!

For all other ways to get there, check out this link:

[http://www.bluelagoon.com/Geothermal_Spa/How%20to%20get%20there/]

As for hotels - I'm not sure there are any super close by - you are much better off staying in RVK. I stayed in the Radisson SAS Saga Hotel and the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum. Let me know if you want details on them - or read my trip report on this forum :)

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,882 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
1,929 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: may travel new routes

hi,

yes, i am going to stay in reykjavik centre. i am going to join a day tour i think. thanks for your help. can i ask you about food? is there much for veggies? also is there shopping?

vicki

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: may travel new routes

hi moggy, to be honest, on the food front I can't say I was overly impressed - but that's because I visited at a time of year where a lot of places are closed because they are spending time with their families. I did find it to be quite expensive (you'll note from my trip report on this forum that I paid a whopping £7.50 for a coffee and a piece of toast!) and from there, we kind of limited ourselves to cheaper restaurants (Ristorante Italia was reasonable - £16 for a pretty large pizza) and ate from the supermarket (it's called the 10-11) as well. I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm going to bet you find it pretty pricey too.

Not being a veggie, I can't say how well you will be catered for - but I remember reading another post on this forum about it - try doing a search. Have you decided which hotel to stay at?

Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: may travel new routes

yep, think so. room with a view apts. think with my eating habits its best to cook for myself!

thanks for your help.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: may travel new routes

If you're going to buy food straight from the shops Bónus is by far the cheapest. It's a chain of stores situated all around Reykjvík. The shops are quite "rugged" and not at all as attractive as 10/11 or Hagkaup. They also don't have as wide a selection but they are much cheaper.

Kansas City...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: may travel new routes

I was in Reykjavik last week and had an amazing, hearty red lentil soup at Kaffe and Te (in the city center). There were plenty of other options on their menu for veggies and a great atmosphere for sitting and relaxing. Not too expensive either.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland