We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Topic
Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

Hi there, 24F here from the States. I am hoping to be in Reykjavik on December 19th through the 26th or 27th this year for the holidays.

I have been reading that most places on Christmas Eve and Day are closed, are there any other holiday festivities that go on in the city? Of course I will attempt to see the Aurora Borealis, but I know there is no guarantee that I’ll see him.

Is it easy to navigate Reykjavik as a solo traveler, and what is the nightlife there?

Thank you, in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Hotel Borealis
Hotel Borealis
271 Reviews
Selfoss, Iceland
4 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,888 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

Many places close down for the actual holidays, because people will spend time with their families. So the best choice for the 24th-26th would be to find a multi-day tour (e.g. to Jökulsárlón) that will take care of accommodation, activities and food options for you.

If you want to stay in Reykjavík it would be best to make dinner (and possibly lunch) reservations well ahead of time and/or book a place where you can self-cater and stack up on groceries. I would then also use those days to walk around the city and see the sights for which you don't need a tour or opening hours.

Going to Iceland requires planning and preparation, so it is good that you are starting to make plans now.

Usually nightlife in Reykjavík is busy on Fridays and Saturdays, but over the holidays most people will be with their families and many places will be closed. Before Christmas there is usually an ice skating rink in the city.

Be aware that you'll only have about 5 hours of daylight in December.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Canada
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

Why did you refer to the Northern LIghts as him? Are you planning to see the "real" beauty of Iceland which is not in the city of Reykjavik?

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

Ha. Not sure. I kept seeing people in various travel groups say “him.” Thought it was a thing.

And yes, I have time to prepare! I am open to any suggestions not just in Reykjavik.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,888 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveler in Reykjavik for Christmas

You could combine a 3-day tour to Jökulsárlón that will include the Golden Circle, the South Coast, the glacier lagoon and ice beach, a glacier hike, an ice cave tour and two nights accommodation with a 2-day tour to Snæfellsnes or some activity day tours (snorkeling Silfra, snowmobiling, horse riding etc.).

Depending on when you arrive you could visit the Blue lagoon en route from the airport and then explore the city or maybe do a NL tour that night if you are not too tired and the conditions are good.

Maybe let us know what your interests are and what draws you to Iceland, then it will be easier to suggest something.

Multi-day winter Highland tours could also be an options if you like adventure and being active.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,676 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe