We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover at KEF

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
499 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Long layover at KEF

On very short notice, we need to change our flight and now we have a long layover at KEF both coming and going. Are there shower facilities or something similar where we can freshen up? What are some of the options one can do with a 5-hour layover and an 11-hour layover? Any short tours available from the airport?

10 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover at KEF

Can you post at what times and in what month your layovers are? That will determine the options you have.

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
499 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover at KEF

In-bound flight is this Friday - layover from 10:30am to 3:45pm 5+ hours

Out-bound flight is June 21 - layover from 3:30am to 3:35pm 11+ hours

Weather is still pretty cool? 45-50 degrees Farenheit?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover at KEF

I guess you will have been on an overnight flight and your luggage will be checked through?

The Blue Lagoon is sold out for Friday morning, but if that is something you enjoy you could check for your second layover. It takes about 20 minutes from the airport and you can book transfer together with admission on the website. Most people spend 2-3 hours there.

Another option could be the Viking World Museum. They provide transfer and also have a café which offers a breakfast buffet and lunch options.

Or you could walk or take a taxi to Keflavík and just ealk through the town and along the shore.

Your times don't line up with any regular tourss, icne you should be back at the airport about 1.5 hours before your flight, even without luggage. If it works for your budget you could contact Reykjanes Tours and ask for a quote for a private tour.

I would not recommend renting a car unless you know you'll be 100% rested and alert when you arrive. Icelandic roads are narrow and require full concentration to avoid damage or an accident.

Afaik the only showers available at the airport are in the Saga Lounge, but it's not open to the public, so you need to have one of their credit cards or be on a business class flight with Icelandair or one of their partner airlines:

https://pixels.icelandair.com/4fab1af0-003b-…

It's around 10°C/50°F right now.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 12:40
Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,630 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Viking World
Viking World
420 Reviews
Keflavik, Iceland
Reykjanes Tours
Reykjanes Tours
60 Reviews
Keflavik, Iceland
La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
591 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover at KEF

If you mean out-bound as on the way back to SF, if you're just coming from Europe, you should be rested enough to rent a car. You'll have quite an early dawn, so you could get a lot of sightseeing done in the morning, and most likely beat all the tourists. There is a small convenience store and Joe and the Juice at the exit to the airport where you could grab food if you need to before you head out.

If you consider the BL, don't worry about the temp. I went in March, and it was still very enjoyable. The water is quite warm. If you're just sightseeing, bring a jacket and rainshell, or at least a change of clothes in your carryon. There's always a good possibility of getting rained on when out and about.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover at KEF

Let‘s start with some IF‘s.

IF you have a 5-hour layover and IF your luggage is checked on to your next flight and IF you already have a boarding-pass for that flight then:

It will take you about 30 minutes to get out of the airport.

There is a public bus that goes to Keflavik town. You can get some sight-seeing, take a nice walk and then a swim and soak in the local thermal-pool (you can rent towels and even swim-gear, but I recommend having the later in your hand-baggage). You can either take the bus or taxi back to the airport, account for 70-90 minutes to get through security (you already have a boarding pass so check-in isn’t required) and to the gate.

The above gives you about 3 hours for your Tour-de-Keflavik.

Keep in mind that taxis at Kef have to pay an arrival fee and they tend to add that fee on shorter trips (like the airport to downtown Keflavik). Makes that trip comparatively expensive.

On the 11 hour layover – Flybus to Reykjavik. If you have luggage then use the storing facilities at BSI. Stroll around town, maybe a dip in the thermal pools. Account for the 1 hour trip back and 90 minutes to pass security.

Mentioned in this post
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover at KEF

Gestur, hi. Just a question. Moot and academic now for me. It is for next time. The public bus to Keflavik. Is it the #55 or an entirely separate one? Didn't see this before. Had wanted to visit the Viking Museum on the last day but at $40/per way for one person, it was a tad expensive.

Op, how many of you in your party. That could help the experts here give a better fine tuned response.

Mentioned in this post
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover at KEF

Honestly I don‘t know and IMHO the site bus.is is about as useful as an umbrella in Iceland.

(rant starts: If you write Keflavik in start or destination it lists up all the places in Iceland called Keflavik. Its an EXTREMELY common place-name. Sort of like Main Street. The ultimate stupidity is that it even lists places with Keflavik in the name that aren’t serviced by the public-bus system…)

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long layover at KEF

Bus no. 55 does go to the airport via Keflavík, but at certain times and on the weekend you need to change buses in Fjörður to bus no.1:

https://www.straeto.is/en/timatoflur/6/30

https://www.straeto.is/en/timatoflur/1/1

I would not use the public bus to get to or from the airport with luggage.

The comfort of using the airport shuttles is worth the xtra cost to me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long layover at KEF

Thanks Gestur and Kim.

No, I was thinking for the next time I have a nice layover in Kef, I would like to visit the Viking Musuem using the public bus transport from airport to keflavik town/city but if it is the same bus 55, the times are limited and my layover might not be compatible with it.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long layover at KEF

I think the closest stop to the Viking World museum is the Tjarnarhverfi stop, but I am not sure how far it is to walk from there, since I don't know 100% where exactly the bus stop is.

You would have to check how the times line up. Maybe the museum staff might be able to help with respect to the closest stop.

Mentioned in this post
Viking World
Viking World
420 Reviews
Keflavik, Iceland
Reply to: Long layover at KEF
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted