We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

girasoledonna
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

I've decided to come see my #1 bucket list destination for my 35th birthday, Iceland! I am coming alone - I am female and the whole trip is kind of coming up on me fast as I play to head there Sept 11th. My plan as of now is to stay 5 days and come back on the 6th, however, I'm wondering if that is a good amount of time to see the country? I don't know when I'll get back, so I'm thinking of extending it to 8-10 days. But some people have said that 8-10 days is not necessary.

SO I NEED ADVICE - First off, that time of year is it safe to rent a car and drive the country? What is the terrain like and weather this time of year (Sept 11-16 or 20th)? I live in New Jersey in the USA and am used to pretty easy driving. If it was snowing heavily in mountainous terrain I'd be terrified! Am I better off doing tours? I have backpacked Europe alone before but never rented a car. What type of car is best? I know Iceland is also supposed to be very safe.. are there any concerns I should be aware of being a solo female traveler?

I am sure a million people have asked this question, but where would I find a good idea for a 5 vs 8-10 day itinerary to see as much as possible.

I found an AirBNB which is in Selfoss, its highly rated and cheap and has a horse farm where you can go riding etc. Most people have said on the site that they wished they could stay longer. So I though of just going there for my 5 day stay and driving around during the day on the south coast. I don't have a good idea of how long it takes to get around however. From selfoss - how much is do-able in a drive? Would I be better off to do a road trip around the whole country and stay in different BnBs throughout the stay?

So driving vs not driving, Selfoss accessibility for day trips, tips for female solo traveling around the country, and snow/weather conditions would be great! Thank you so much.

Edited: 29 June 2017, 22:24
Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Use the search box above your post and type in 5 day itinerary, then do another searcg with 10 day and you will get lots of ideas,

No one in Iceland every tries to predict weather more than a few hours in advance, For historical data use google,

No specials concerns for being a female than you would exercise in any other country including the US, Act foolish and you will attract trouble,

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

I would recommend google with keywords like:

iceland, solo female traveler

to see the travel diaries and blogs from those who have already been. A quick overlook of context seems people enjoyed their journey.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
447 reviews
3. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

A couple of years ago i stayed 8 days in Reykjavik but i took 3 tours outside of the capital and thorough;y enjoyed myself. Selfoss area is nice but i am not sure if there would be enough to keep you occupied in September. I found that 3 days in the capital were enough to see everything.. The countryside is amazing but i must admit after seeing 6 waterfalls it was enough for me. One tends to get waterfalled out ! The beautiful village of Vik was well worth visiting, especially climbing up to the church on the hill fora beautiful,view. Once you get out of the capital there is very little traffic on the road so you would have no trouble driving and finding your way around. Don't forget that the villages are very small and usually only have one shop and possibly a gas station, where there may be a restaurant that serves good food.

girasoledonna
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
4. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Yes that was one thing i was worried about running out of gas! I was thinking more of using Selfoss as the home base, as my understanding is that I could get to see the whole golden circle, Vik, Reykjannes peninsula,Skogafoss, Kerid, Seljalandsfoss, Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon, Geisur and Gulfoss.. but if i wanted to see Jokulsarlon I'd have to stay over near Hof.

What do you think I'd really miss out on staying in Selfoss vs the city? Cause the place out there is pretty cool they do horse back riding guided by the hosts down to the waterfalls etc, and i like the idea of a hostel cause I'll meet more travelers. They have a geyser right outside their window and you can see the northern lights from their home in the country side.

But Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my AirBNB and just stay in the city and take tours? I wonder how that would work out price wise since its just me? I do love cities but I really want to do more adventurous things like hike a glacier or ice cave, go whale watching and hunt the northern lights. I think the driving could be awesome provided I don't fall off a cliff in a snow storm or hail storm or something hahaha.

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
693 reviews
5. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

I'd stay in Reykjavik for the restaurants, shopping, and it's just a very cute city. Selfoss is more industrial.

You can do any one of dozens of horse riding tours from Reykjavik, either getting picked up or driving.

Or stay a couple days in each.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Selfoss is not known as a great place to hang out. There isn't much there for things like culture, restaurants, museums. I would stay in Reykjavik.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Now you are only confusing me. There is no Geyser outside any windows in Selfoss, and AFAIK there is no horse farm in the town either. Can you double check, and FWIW the "postal code" might say Selfoss but it can be 100 km away from Selfoss (town). This map shows the town of Selfoss: https://goo.gl/maps/1VhMEhPsiVy

Edited: 01 July 2017, 00:16
girasoledonna
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
8. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Here is the address of the place I booked. Kjoastaðir 2, 801 Selfoss.... they just said they have icelandic horses and do tours, and that you can see a geyser from the rooms.. its between Gulfoss and Geisur is all I really know, and near the Golden Circle and secret Lagoon. If I stayed in the city, can anyone recommend a good place that isn't so expensive? This air BNB was like $80 a night I mean.. that was definitely an appeal :)

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
447 reviews
9. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

How about a compromise---3 days in the capital and 5 days in Selfoss at your AirBnB. Reykjavik really is a beautiful city with lots to offer. Great choice of restaurants and i always found a decent meal for less than 2,000 ISK.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
53 posts
10. Re: Solo Female Traveler Seeking Advice

Is this the place?

https://www.geysirhestar.com/accommodation

Not in the town of Selfoss. Have a look at a map.