We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

TA has to be the best travel site for trip planning and the local experts and recent travelers have yet to steer me wrong. I arrive from Denver at 6:00 AM on August 9 and depart at 1:10 PM on August 11th heading to Oslo.I'm thinking the Reykjavik card may be my best option for travel as I'm going to AirBnB while I'm there. It looks like Gray line is probably my best bet for airport transfer.

I have a question about travel to and from the Viking Museum near the airport. It looks like a great way to relax with a breakfast after an overnight flight as well as spend some time before I can check into my room. I don't think I want to walk the 1 hour 45 minutes each way but is it so close that a cab drive might not want to take me? I think it's not on the Reykjavik card list so I'll pick up the card when I arrive into town.

If I don't rent a car I'll have to take a tour to the Bridge Between Continents or any other out of town sites. If I don't do any of the out of town thermal pools I can do one of the city facilities. I think the blue lagoon might be worth a trip as a bucket list item although it looks like using that trip as an airport transfer is very expensive. If I were to decide to do any day tours I might just skip the Reykjavik card although I much prefer traveling on my own to going with groups.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

With your short time, renting a car seems like the best option. Cost shouldn't be too bad for only two days.

If you don't rent a car, it looks like you can set up transport from KEF directly with the Viking World museum, according to their website.

If you want to do Blue Lagoon, book asap as they do sell out.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
447 reviews
2. Re: Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

I bought the card last year and found it excellent value for 72 hours. I visited all the free attractions and also enjoyed the trip to Videy island where i spent a half day walking around. It can get very cold there. The buses take time to figure out but once you have done this it is easy to get around Reykjavik. Most attractions are in the center except for the wonderful open air museum which was one of my favorites.

Bristol
Level Contributor
174 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

Don't over look the fact that a lot of museums are free if you are over 67. This is for everybody, not just locals. Check out the websites of the ones you want to see before buying the card

4. Re: Two day trip for a single 68 year old man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2018, 09:46