We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding cameras

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Speeding cameras

Do the speeding cameras flash when they take the picture of a car that is speeding? In other words, if one passed a speed camera that did not flash at all, does that mean that no ticket has been issued?

We drove very slowly, well below the speed limits for the vast majority of our drive in Iceland as the roads were new, I wanted to be safe, and I am law-abiding. I have never in my life received a speeding ticket, at home or on travel. However, as we entered the Hvalfjörður Tunnel from Snaefellsnes back to Reykjavik, there was a steep decline, which automatically speeded up our car without my acceleration. I put my foot on the brake as soon as I noticed what was occurring, but we passed a camera and our speed may have been as high as 81 kmph at that moment (in a 70 zone). There was no flash. I am such a careful driver and it is worrisome to think a ticket may have been incurred due to this, especially as I was riding the break at the time, trying to slow down due the steep decline!

Any thoughts from anyone here?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding cameras

No, you will not detect when the cameras take your picture. The flash is infra red.

B-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding cameras

So is every single vehicle that passes a camera while driving above the speed limit automatically issued a ticket? Should I basically keep an eye on my mail to wait for the ticket to arrive or is there a possibility that no ticket was ever issued?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding cameras

No, it is not 100% sure. The cameras are not always active.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding cameras

Does the amount over-the-speed-limit activate the cameras? We were, at most, 11 kmph above the posted speed in that tunnel when near the camera and it was about 8:45 to 9pm. I was on the brake slowing down most of the time.

I did notice a police car right outside the tunnel in the direction in which we were driving (which was not there earlier in the day when we first used the tunnel going the other way). Does the presence of the police car make the chances of the camera being active greater or lesser?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding cameras

5 - 10.000 ISK depending on the exact speed. You can calculate it here, it is simple enough even though it is in Icelandic, just put in the speed limit and your speed: https://us.is/Apps/WebObjects/US.woa/wa/dp…

About the police car, it is totally unrelated. The cars used to take care of the cameras are unlabeled cars.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding cameras

There is a calculator for speed fines here: http://www.us.is/id/4501

It's on icelandic, the dropdownlist that says "Hámarkshraði" is where you select the allowed speed and in the text box that says "Aksturshraði" you input your actual speed.

According to the calculator then you might expect a fine of 10.000 ISK. That is, if the camera caught you. I believe the rental company receives the fine and they then charge you (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: Bill beat me to it ;)

Edited: 07 May 2012, 23:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speeding cameras

Does the rental company charge an extra fee or just the 10.000 ISK? I would prefer--if I got a ticket and I sure hope not!--to directly pay the Iceland government division of traffic violations and not go through a rental car agency, especially if they charge a fee.

Does anyone know how long it might take from the date of the violation for a USA resident to receive the ticket in the mail (if it is mailed by the government)?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Speeding cameras

Suggest you contact you contact your car rental company, for this information. It may vary from rental to rental.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speeding cameras

generally the car company will receive the ticket. they will pay it and pass the charge on to your credit card on file. and while i've heard some cameras in the more rural areas don't always work, the ones around reykjavic and tunnels do generally work.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speeding cameras

Mark, try not to stress about it. If you received a ticket, just consider it one more fee involved in renting the very expensive rental car. Likely the rental car company will add it to your charge card bill without making judgement about your driving skills,no points against your insurance--. It happens. From experience, in a foreign country, I know such things can overshadow an otherwise fun vacation Thanks for your warning. We will obey the speed limit before entering the tunnel next month. I did not even think about speed cameras in Iceland. Europeans, be alerted that the major cities (Philadelphia, Washington DC, et.) in the USA also have those traffic cameras for speeding and going thru traffic lights. Big brother is watching us everywhere.