We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speeding fine

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
speeding fine

Was driving on the ring road no.1 at about 80kph (limit was 90) and came across a sign for 70 for a small stretch of road. i began to slow down as I approached the sign and must've been doing just over when a speed camera flashed me! it was just behind the sign. I was trying to go down to 70 as quick as i could but there was a car right behind me and didnt want to brake too harshly.

The car is a rental car so they will receive the ticket. How much am i looking at it under 75kph for a 70 limit?

Really annoyed as have never received a ticket before and think having a camera right behind the sign was a little unfair but accept the punishment.

T

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: speeding fine

I got a ticket from a camera as well. I was going 3km over the limit and the fine was $200 USD!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: speeding fine

was it a 90 limit? wonder if makes difference if 70. never had a speeding ticket before! :(

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: speeding fine

teasel79 - here's a fines calculator - Icelandic only but you'll be able to follow it. www.us.is/Apps/WebObjects/US.woa/wa/dp… Enter the speed limit in the drop-down, and your actual speed in the box below - it should calculate automatically but if it doesn't then click "Reikna" (calculate) ... for 75kph in a 70kph limit you'll get "Engin viðurlög" = no penalties. For a 70kph limit fines begin at 76kph - try it!

peppinoss77 - US$ 200 = in round figures ISK 20.000 so that doesn't compute for 3kph over the speed limit - try entering a limit of 30kph and you'll find the lowest fine is ISK 5.000 at 36kph. To get fined ISK 20.000 you must have been well over the limit - one example is 71kph in a 50kph limit - is it possible you were at 73kph and the limit had dropped from 70kph to 50kph without you noticing the sign?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: speeding fine

I was for sure only 3km over. I think the limit was 70 as it was going through a tunnel. Forget exactly where it was. Anyways. I will try to fine the ticket they sent me and post a pic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: speeding fine

hopefully this is the case re: amount of fines

thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: speeding fine

Ah ha! I found the ticket they sent me. You are right, I was going 91 in a 70 through the faskrudsfjordargong tunnel. I guess I thought the limit was 90 instead of 70. I would have gone 70 had I known that was the limit. When reading the ticket I got confused because it says "3kph deviation" so I though I deviated from the speed limit by 3kph. I was pretty shocked that a 3kph over the limit ticket was $200 usd!!! Guess it all makes sense now.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: speeding fine

peppinoss77,

I assume you were in a rental car. How long did it take from the incident until you were informed by the rental company of the ticket? Did the rental company immediately charge the credit card used for the rental?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: speeding fine

Yeah it was a rental. Took almost a month to get the ticket in the mail in the US. Rental company didn't charge me anything. They just passes my info off to the police and they mail me the ticket. I just called and paid it over the phone. The funny thing is that the police on the phone were the nicest icelandic people I talked to. :-) too bad they didn't dismiss my ticket for me

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: speeding fine

Thanks again, very interesting information.

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: speeding fine

Just one question and I don't want to sound mean. If you're back in your country and you disregard the fine what will the consequences be ?