We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol

Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

WARNING, THIS IS A VERY LONG RAMBLING READ LOL

So, last minute (A DAY AGO) we booked Iceland and fly out tomorrow night (Monday) to arrive Tuesday AM. ​We will be there for 7 days, trying to get an itinerary together and am asking for help please lol. There is so much to see and do. Due to time constraints we're not interested in bars/food/night life/scuba/snorkel/horseback riding this trip and we want to skim it down to our interests which are

​- Parks

- Volcanos

- Waterfalls

- Geysers

- Lagoons

- Ice Caves_

- Beaches/Black Sand

- Whales

- Puffins

I am thinking we arrive Tuesday August 24 at 8-9 am. We get the luggage, customs/Immigration, pick up the rental car.

First day I would like to do the Blue Lagoon and if we have the time Fagradalsfjall Volcano (can you tour it alone or do you need a guide?)

The next day we want to get up early and do the Golden Circle sights

First is it worth going to Hengill Volcano and should I do that before Thingvellir National Park?

- Thingvellir National Park and see Almannagjá Fault, Öxarárfoss Waterfall Anything else to see there?

- Bruarfoss Waterfall

- Haukadalur Geothermal Field/Geysir Geothermal Area to see Strokkur (More active one) and Geysir (The bigger one)

- Gullfoss Waterfall

- Haifoss waterfall

- Secret Lagoon (is it worth it?)

- Kerid Crater

Annnd thats what I got so far, any suggestions for those first few days???

We plan to do the ring road also and not against doing a few tours to see the whales, puffins and anything that requires a guide but want to do most of the stuff on our own.

Thank you in advance and Ill be checking in for updates

9 replies to this topic
Stuttgart
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
65 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

Get your Covid test done ASAP for arrival - also I guess you are fully vaccinated (if not 5 days quarantine to enter Iceland)

With 7 days look into Vik, Hof, Höfn, Snaefellsnes Peninsula as other parts of your trip

Edited: 22 August 2021, 22:47
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

With just 7 days, I don't know if I'd drive the Ring Road unless there's something you especially want to see in the North? The sights of the Reykjanes peninsula (including the volcano), the Golden Circle, and the South coast as far as the glacial lagoon can easily consume 7 days, especially if you're taking time to explore and enjoy.

Not only might you be too tired to walk to the volcano the day you arrive (assuming a redeye flight), it might not be active. You have to be flexible if you want to see lava.

What are you planning to do for accommodation?

Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

Hotels in Reykjavik

Honestly I think there is enough to see and do right around Reykjavik , the Peninsula and the Golden Circle. The person I am going with seems to think we can do the whole country in a week lol. We've traveled together so I know I have to keep her organized or we will be going in every direction. Do you think we can do the Golden Circle in 2 days with seeing what is on my list?

Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

We are both vaccinated and have done the covid tests here and filled out the health forms online. We have to wait till we get to Iceland before we can do the tests to go back to the USA next week. I will look into the areas you have suggested. Ill be up all night planning lol

Canada
Level Contributor
15,862 posts
93 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

The Golden Circle an easily be done in one day. Do you have 7 full days, not counting arrival/departure?

If not then the RR in 6 days or less is very fast even if you don't plan on whale watching etc. But if that is your travel style go for it. Lots of 7 day itineraries already on TA or available by a google search, And you should book accommodation before you leave home. Like today.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
6. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

i would do Snaefellesnes peninsuala - you can do whale watching from grundafjordur with Laki tours - check their sightings online - that's probably 2 days Then golden circle sights - secret lagoon is worth it in my view, Gulfoss and Kerid, possibly not Geysir/Strokkur 0r Thingvellier (at least without a guide to explain the history). South Coast is at least 3 days and consider guided glacier hike - Jokullsarlon and Fjallsarlon and Skaftafell is a day where you will want to stay local - Hali country hotel gets good reviews or you could stay in Hofn. On the way are the waterfalls Skogafoss and Seljandsfoss and REynisfara beach. HOw long you stay would depend on how much you want to walk around these waterfalls - both have optional hikes attached.

Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

Day of arrival then 6 days full days, then we leave early the 8th day. I am booking as I go along thank you !

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,364 posts
1,302 reviews
341 helpful votes
8. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

Don’t try to book places the day of or day before as you travel around Iceland. Just not many options and you may have to travel an extra 50-100 miles to find a bed.

Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Save

Yes, thank you I am way to old to sleep in the car lol. Lots of beautiful places all around I really need to come here for amonth not a week!

Reply to: Itinerary Help Please, Leaving TOMMOROW lol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.