We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

I’ve got an early arrival in early September and want to include one of the spas while waiting to check in to my hotel in Reykjavik. I’ll have a rental car so location isn’t an issue. Has anyone done both Sky Lagoon and Blue Lagoon and have a preference?

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

I haven't myself, but I was chatting with some locals while I was there and they were recommending the Sky Lagoon? They liked the oceanside setting better.

Stuttgart
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
65 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

Nothing special about Sky Lagoon so would recommend Blue Lagoon

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
3. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

I wouldn't stress too much I liked both. Blue Lagoon in unique given the milky appearance of the water from the silica - but it is very much a tourist experience and changing rooms can be a bit busy. Once you are in the lagoon you can find quiet areas. Personally if you are tired, I wouldn't want to go to the blue lagoon and then afterwards have to drive into Reyjkavik.

The Sky lagoon is a clear water pool right by the ocean and the architecture of the building is very icelandic in design - turf houses etc. I personally preferred this - there is a ritual experience including saunas with ocean view and cool mist. You could go to your hotel, drop off your bags - it is about 10-15 mins drive from the city.

Somerville...
11 posts
4. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

Do both! Blue Lagoon is more unique water and Sky Lagoon has a great sunset view.

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

We did the Blue Lagoon after we arrived (0640 arrival), got to BL about 945 after duty free shipping and getting our rental car. We enjoyed it right after the flight and was refreshing and invigorating with the cooler air. After BL we went to the volcano around the corner and did a small hike to the lava field and from there drive to Reykjavik and checked in our hotel and then went walking around the Reykjavik sights. Was a perfect way to spend the first day while a bit tired but still able to check things off our list. The BL was pretty and not very crowded at all!!!

Andover...
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Save

We did both and they are different experiences. If I could do only one, I would probably choose the Blue Lagoon because it's the iconic Iceland tourist experience. It is much bigger than Sky Lagoon and less upscale. Sky Lagoon is very small and can be crowded in the pool (it was when we were there) but the changing facilities were nicer. Blue Lagoon has a mask experience where you put a series of 3 (free) masks on your face. Sky Lagoon has the Ritual where you go into a turf house and sit in a sauna, steam room, get a scrub, etc. (also free).

Reply to: Sky Lagoon or Blue Lagoon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.