We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turku

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Turku

Hi there

I will be in Helsinki 6-11 May and by the sound of the forum, Turku is a worthwhile side trip. I'd like to 'cruise' Turku 'islands' but not particularly wanting to go to Stockholm. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Clare

Turku Castle
Castles, History Museums
Turku Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Educational sites, Historic Sites
Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova
Art Museums, Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Speciality Museums
8 replies to this topic
Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turku

May might be a bit too early in the season, but check the "see & experience" and "archipelago" section of visitturku.fi to see what's available.

Viking Line and Tallink Silja also offer day cruises from Turku to Åland, but they do take the whole day.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turku

Rent a car for a day and drive along the King's Road towards Turku. See visitraseborg.com/en/…the-king-s-road

Do a detour to Nauvo/Nagu for the archipelago experience. Nauvo is in the heart of the archipelago, but easily accessed by car. There's a nice restaurant to have a lunch.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turku

Hi there

Thanks very much for your expert advice and friendly suggestion. I will keep an eye over "see & experience" and "archipelago" section of visitturku.fi. Can I submit the following self composed itinerary for your comments:

6/5 - arrive Helsinki at noon (half day available)

7&8/5 - do Helsinki & Porvoo

9/5 - do Suomenlinna

10/5 - early train to Turku

11/5 - Viking Line /Tallink Silja day cruise from Turku to Åland (if running)

12/5 - Turku train to Helsinki then ferry to Tallinn (Tallinn is where I pick up the Baltic tours departing on 14/5.)

Your views and opinion would be appreciated.

Cheers

Clare

Edited: 08 April 2017, 09:04
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turku

You don't need a whole day for Suomenlinna. By that time the tourist cruise boats will be operating. One of them does an island-hopping package (including Suomenlinna) which makes a nice day, weather permitting.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turku

Thank you very much JohntheFinn. One last question - do you think I would have any problem connecting a ferry in Helsinki to Tallinn on 12/5 leaving Turku that same morning?. I of course should check the ferries' schedule. I will most likely organise train and ferry tickets prior to leaving Helsinki. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Clare

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turku

There are four ferry operators and numerous departures all through the day. Linda Line is by far the most likely ferry to be cancelled - at least check the weather forecast for your departure date before you book with them. The other three are practically 100% reliable.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Turku

Wow that's Finnish efficiency - thanks for speedy response!!. I can go ahead with accommodation bookings now. Can't ask for more from you. Great stuff.

Cheers

Clare

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turku

You are welcome. Enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Turku