We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

South Africa
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Four of us are planning a trip going from Moscow to St Petersburg and then onto Helsinki.

We ere thinking of taking a train to Turku (2hours) stay-over night and then taking the ferry to Stockholm, mid July.

We are interested in maybe staying over 1 night in Aland.

Is it possible? and is it worth an explore?

He have heard the Islands are beautiful.

We still need to investigate which ferry to take.We were thinking a day ferry would be best to see the sights or would you suggest an evening one to rest up, and then we get to see as much as we can in the afternoon and early morning on arrival.

8 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Mariehamn is a sleepy little town, the rest of Åland is very rural. The fortress ruins at Bomarsund mark the islands' historic high point, and the castle of Kastelholm is worth a look on the way. I'd definitely take the day ferry to get the maximum views of the archipelagos, and besides the night ferry arrives and departs at inconvenient times.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Turku-Mariehamn takes some 4-5 hours. It does not make much sense to the the night ferry as it arrives in Mariehamn in the middle of the night. The route is very scenic.

South Africa
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Thank you for your advice, that helps a lot It sounds like a good idea. So if we take the day ferry from Turku to Mariehamn .. do some site seeing. Is it possible to catch another ferry from there to Stockholm?

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Yes, the same one the next day ;-)

Edited: 21 March 2017, 22:06
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Or you could leave in the early hours, sleep on the ship and arrive in Stockholm next morning.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

There is another ferry line from Eckerö, but it lands in Grisslehamn in Sweden https://www.eckerolinjen.ax/boka-batresa/

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

I sometimes checked the timetables. If you take (Viking Line) Cinderella from Stockholm to Mariehamn at 18:00, it arrives there in the morning, at 7:15. Then the day ferry Stockholm-Mariehamn-Turku (Viking Grace) stops there somewhere around 14:00, so the timeframe is prefect for a day trip, you'd be in Turku in the evening. Unfortunately this is not possible to the other direction, because Cinderella only does Stockholm-Mariehamn.

But here's the Viking timetable:

…vikingline.com/en/…

Edited: 22 March 2017, 00:30
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland

Hi,

I plan to travel from Turku to Aland, stay one night, before continuing to Stockholm. Must I buy 2 tickets? Or can I buy 1 ticket with a stopover at Aland?

Reply to: Ferry Turku to Stockholm, Stopover Aland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted