We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tallinn

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Day trip to Tallinn

I have heard good things about the Estonian capital, Tallinn, but also some bad things. Is it worth going? How much does the ferry across cost for a day return?

Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

This is also one of the most often asked questions in the forum... so it would be worth searching earlier posts. Briefly, yes it is definitely worth a day trip and you can get day cruise tickets for some tens of Euros.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

Linda Line was selling day returns for €28 when I sailed with them a few days ago. The trip is very much worth doing, practically a must.

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

I agree with JohntheFinn, Tallinn really is worth visiting. The Old Town is nice, strolling along the cobbled streets and stopping for a nice lunch.

Finland
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

Tallinn is definitely worth visiting! I have used Tallink when travelling there, as it is more comfortable than the tiny Linda Line, and not very much more expensive either. Tallinn´s old town is beautiful, and one can do shopping with a very good price.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

I usually take Linda because it's the fastest, but this is probably more important for a frequent visitor such as myself. Still, even on a day trip it means one hour less travelling time, and Linda's smaller vessels also mean boarding and debarking are somewhat quicker.

Blue Lake...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

My Aunt and I are flying to Finland in September and will be there for 4 weeks. Last year, we took a day trip to Tallin and loved it. This year, we want to take a weekend trip to Tallin. Also, we had gotten onto a bus in Narpes and the bus took us to Helsinki, loaded onto the Viking Line and etc.

Is there a web site for me to look at the times and prices?

We stay in Korsnas so will need to take the bus, like a package trip to Tallin and back to Narpes.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

Only a Närpes local travel agent could answer that question. You could check out regular bus schedules at the following site, remembering to use the Finnish name for Närpes (Närpiö): http://www.matkahuolto.fi/en/

From Helsinki all the ferry operators offer transport + hotel packages, often at very good prices. Check out these operators closer to the time:

http://www.vikingline.fi/index.asp?lang=en

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/

http://www.lindaline.fi/en/

Edited: 04 August 2010, 22:15
St Ives
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

Tallinn is a really pretty, small city, sufficiently compact to easily walk around, but with enough to look at and investigate to occupy anyone for a day. Nice shops and restaurants too. By any reckoning it must be worth a day trip if you can spare the time and are not too far away. It's also one of the very best places for free wi-fi access, which makes it ideal for just sitting in the main square with a coffee and catching up on emails etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAC8F_2qTTY

Edited: 09 August 2010, 17:12
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

I was again on a day trip by Tallink Superstar.

Well, I liked St Olaf's church tower whic is my opinion the best sight.

I really don't understand the Estonian bad service atmosphere. In restaurants you got no smiles from service people and they don't look in the eyes. They just "throw" the plate in front of you. The feeling seems to be "I just work here, I don't own or care a s**t about this place".

Again I experienced many such a situations. Only the market place sellers seem to be a bit more kind: they might own the shop so it's worth being nicer.

We took a 1 hour tourist sight seeing by a bus (16e). I liked. It's a good way of seeing the city. But immediately when you get couple of blocks away from the Old town and the core city, scenery is'nt so nice. It's so so much decayed houses and areas, and rust everywhere. I really don't want to be left on those areas from the bus. Of course it's very understable because the soviet occupation is not so far away in time (20y). And it's good to focus the resources for example to Old town.

We looked walking around some blocks to find the Dominican monastery which photo I checked on the net beforehand. But we didn't find it! Only a white two-peak american styled church. It wasnt' there! Only if the entrance was the same as a restaurant's on an alley but we didn't checked it.

A bus almost drove on us on a crosswalk. We walked on green lite. The bus was turning to right in front of us and didn't use brakes. Only the signal!! Oh we thanked the Lord. Common in Tallinn?

The castle wall in old town is nice.

Tallinn is by sea but you don't see the sea at all on the city scenery which is a pity. You don't sense the sea in the city. In Helsinki you can access the sea almost 360 degrees form the city centre by walk, car, bus, tram, metro, bike.

I liked the Estonia Memorial.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Tallinn

That is very interesting information thank you