We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

We are landing at Helsinki airport at 10:30 am and have reserved a 2:30pm ferry to Tallinn. How do we get from the airport to the West Harbor ferry terminal? Where is a good place for lunch near the terminals?

Also when we return to Helsinki via ferry, How do we get to the Helka Hotel on Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu?

I have been reading this forum and have not seen a post for this question. Please help.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

Here's the handy local transport route planner - just insert Airport, West Harbour (British spelling) and the date): http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/

You can use the same tool to plot your route to the Helka Hotel.

There's a café in the terminal with basic food or you could eat on board the ferry, but you'd be better off eating in the city center, depending on what you consider a 'good place.' If I were you, I'd have my meal at the Fly Inn at the airport (terminal D, I believe - anyway it's a small airport). Helsinki is one of the very few airports blessed with a quality restaurant.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

Fly Inn Restaurant is in the Terminal 2, Departure Hall 3 (land side). There's no terminal D at Helsinki airport, only terminal 1 for domestic flights and terminal 2 for international. This is tje case for the time being - next autumn the terminals will change. Then Finnair with its partners will operate from the Terminal 2 and others from Terminal 1.

You can see Fly Inn's menu at

www.gatewayrestaurants.fi/?cmscname=flyinn_en

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

The West Harbor ferry terminal is far away from any civilization, no good place there within walking distance with the luggage. The ferry will have several restaurants, but Tallink is famous for it's crabby food and poor ambiance, definitely not worth the money.

Lunch at the airport is OK, but 10.30 is a bit early.

I'd take a bus 615 (or Finnair bus) and drive to the city. There are numeous good places to have lunch and you'll have time for a small stroll, too.

From the city I'd take a cab to the terminal, it's like 3 kms so won't cost a fortune (~10€) and skip the hustle with luggage and public transportation.

Terminal > Helka, taxi, about the same cost.

Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

I don't´quite agree with Polarbear about Tallink food. I have some of my best restaurant experiences at Tallink ferry (at the Russian restaurant of Tallink Galaxy) so I would not hesitate trying e.g. the A la carte restaurant onboard, see the options at

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
5. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

"The West Harbor ferry terminal is far away from any civilization, no good place there within walking distance with the luggage."

riiiiiiiiight.....

This god-forsaken area, far away from civilization is a few hundred meters away from high-end apartments that carry a price tag of 10 000 € / square meter :)

VIOLA:

www.ravintolaopas.net/viola/index.asp…

MERIMAKASIINI:

http://www.merimakasiini.fi/sijainti.php

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

If your flight arrives at 10:30 (on time), then you'd be out of the airport at ca 11:00 after collecting your luggage. The bus journey to downtown takes ca 30-35 minutes. So, you'll be at the Helsinkin Central Railway Station around 11:30 - 11:45 if everything goes swiftly. From the railway station (Eliel Square) you can take the bus 15A to the West Harbour ferry terminal, or metro from the Central Railway Station to Ruoholahti and from there the bus 15 to the terminal. Buses run ca. every 10-15 minutes.

You should be at the check-in in the Tallink's terminal ca 1 hour before the departure time (check in deadline is 30 min before departure - after that the reservations are not valid).

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

Bunq28:

Yep, Merimakasiini is good, but not in my view within walking distance to the West Harbour if you carry your luggage along.

If you refer to Eiranranta about apt's of 10.000€/m2, I would call the area Good forsaken. Yes, there is a great seaview, but that's it. You neighbor is a huge ship yard, around the corner there's a 'refugee camp' and there is practically nothing within decent walking distance.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
8. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

I totally agree with you...

until they get the old dock area cleared

it's not exactly the nicest looking neighborhood :-)

My point was that it's not in the middle of nowhere...

Unless you're looking for a restaurant located in the terminal building - you're gonna have to do some walking :-)

Merimakasiini & Viola are both within a few hundred

meters from the terminal - thus easily reached.

But if you're travelling with loads of luggage you're better of taking a cab of course :-)

Helsinki
Level Contributor
49 posts
9. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

Nice to hear locals argue about the areas :)

But the questions have been answered!

If I may just add that the new Tallink ferries are quite ok. I wouldn't recommend eating in the diners, but the restaurants offer pretty decent food. And as far as milieu is concerned - depends on the ship you are taking. If it's Superstar, then the view from the Grand Theatre bar is breathtaking.

The afternoon ferry should be quite peaceful and far from being crowded. Enjoy your trip!

Helsinki
Level Contributor
49 posts
10. Re: Helsinki airport to ferry terminals

PS. Forgot. Tallink's check-in time is 30 min. No time in being there much earlier, really. It used to be 15 min.