We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

I always love the public transit in Helsinki. I saw its mobile app https://www.hsl.fi/en/app

How does that work? I have an Android phone, but it does not have a SIM card. So, it does not have a telephone number. Can the tickets on my phone be used on an HSL bus?

If you are a software engineer, could you please explain how the system manages a transaction? If I tap the phone on the device on the bus, would the transaction be sent over the wireless to the servers, or be updated just locally on my phone?

Would you please go to https://SurestInfo.com to guide future travelers with a live video streaming?

Thanks.

14 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

You can pay either by phone bill or by a credit card, but you need to have an internet connection for the purchase. If you're travelling without a sim (why?), you need to have a working wifi around you when buying the ticket. The ticket validity can also be inspected offline.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

I have a WiFi to buy tickets. I am wondering whether I can use the tickets when I board a bus, without WiFi and a SIM card.

Ah, my phone does not have a SIM because it is a developer phone. The development work only needs WiFi/Internet.

Thanks.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

You must have a telephone number as that is the 'ID' the app uses and registers it with. And with the telephone number the inspectors can check the tickets even if the battery of your device has run out.

On wifi only credit card purchases can be made. Anyhow, phone bill charging works only with Finnish mobile phone subscriptions. You don't need an internet connection when boarding the bus - a purchased and valid ticket can be shown from the app in offline, too. Just make sure your service has the correct time.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 10:35
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

Service = device

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

You can download the HSL app and register your info already at home. This way you'll see if it works or not. You do neeed a phone number to register, but apparently that number does not need to be connected to that device. The inspector will use his device to see if a certain phone number has paid for the trip or not, in case your phone is dead at the moment. If your phone is alive, it will show a valid ticket during the validity period.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 11:18
T H
Level Contributor
30 posts
6. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

HSL recently updated the ticket app and it supports only credit card paying. The phone bill feature became deprecated in August this year what I've found.

The app shows your ticket on display, how long it is valid, counts minutes and even alarms when the ticket gets void. While entering a bus or a tram you just flash the app to the driver. In the metro or trains it is like self service, but there are frequently HSL patrols inspecting tickets, so your device will do for them as well if you just bought a ticket earlier.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

At least their website still says mobile payment is in use: https://www.hsl.fi/en/app

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

Nope, the new app requires a card payment. Not possible to charge to your phone bill. The term 'mobile payment' is very vague can practically mean anything. We still a long way from being able to pay with truly mobile solutions like ApplePay or MobilePay.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

I still have the option of "charge to phone bill".

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?

I have also in my app the option to charge to the phone bill (the new app). I think that there is some sort of limitation to this that you cannot charge season/monthly tickets to a phone bill as I believe 50 EUR is the maximum you can charge to the phone bill at a time.

Reply to: HSL public transit mobile app. How does it work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted