We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Hi there, would appreciate the help given here. Anyone could recommend any must eat place and sightseeing for a day trip? Or any particular must visit place in helsinki?

14 replies to this topic
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Budget?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Did you already read the cruise day Top question https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18993… ? It covers a day well but it won't help if your 'day trip' includes an evening in Helsinki. Does it?

Only you can decide what you must see and eat. Any issues with food like allergies or lactose intolerance will limit your choices. Some traditional Finnish dishes include milk products.

I say you must visit the Amos Rex art museum just because it opened very recently so it won't have been seen by millions, yet, and you have the chance of being the very first Singaporean to write a TripAdvisor review on it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
3. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Hi there, thanks for the advice i am adding Amos Rex art museum in my itineary ,

no allergy to milk, able to take all kinds of food. yes i have one day in helsinki before departs back to hometown., wil arrive helsinki at 11am flight. so would love to get the best of it, scenery, food, !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
4. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

I just realise the hotel i stay in is 4 mins away from this rex museum, thanks for the advice!

Ad any recommendations for food should i take ? and just curious for day ticket does it include metro , train & buses? as singapore we only have bus and train hence i am not very sure.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,370 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

The day ticket covers all public transport, including local trains and the Suomenlinna island ferry. To include the airport you need a more expensive 'region' ticket (€14).

Sightseeing: Kauppatori market area, Suomenlinna island fortress, Senate Square, the Lutheran and Orthodox cathedrals, the 'rock church'. All but the last are in the same area (Suomenlinna ferry leaves from Kauppatori). Food: reindeer will be exotic to you, also cloudberries are something you don't get in the tropics.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
694 posts
306 reviews
6. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Visit Sibelius Park and monument.If you're good with your camera, this is the monument to take pictures, especially from underneath. Cloudy day or not. Best time to visit morning or late afternoon, as tourists, pouring out of busses, will drive you crazy obscuring your angles. 600 stainless steel pipes honor Finland's creates composer, Jean Sibelius on a piece of rock.Take the number 2 tram, which only stops a few blocks away.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Kuu https://ravintolakuu.fi/en/home/ serves a very nice reindeer fillet and they have a cloudberry dessert, too.

The stop of tram 2 is 250 m away so Kuu could be a pit stop if you choose to visit the Sibelius monument.

If you have never been on a tram, you have your chance in Helsinki.

Note that I have never visited Amos Rex, I just know that it is very new. Being in Helsinki in November it is a good idea to have indoor activities on your list of things to do. The average highs and lows fluctuate around zero centigrade. You are unlikely to see snow but rain and wind are quite likely. Coming from Singapore you just might not be able to take it for long periods even if you are dressed properly.

Headgear is essential. A beanie will work well and wind-proof lining would be a bonus. You will also need gloves. They do not need to be very thick but being wind-proof is essential.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
99 reviews
8. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Edit time expired...

Visiting the Suomenlinna fortress islands or any outdoor sightseeing can be enjoyable if Novemeber 2nd turns out to be a calm, dry day. It can also be windy and raining hard so that you will be miserable. The best plan is to line up some potential indoor activities in case the weather compels you to reduce your time with the major outdoor sights.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
91 reviews
9. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Amos Rex is worth a visit. It currently shows a very popular computer based interactive works, nothing I've experienced before.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,370 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018

Even if the weather is not ideal, it's worth taking the Suomenlinna ferry (included in your 24hr transport ticket) for the views of the harbour and islands. You don't need to disembark, the ferry comes right back to Kauppatori.

Reply to: One day in Helsinki on Nov 2nd 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted