We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

Hello, Our family is planning on meeting my daughter in Helsinki after she finishes her study abroad in Kuopio. As of now, it looks like we could do 7 days in Helsinki and 7 days in Iceland. Will we find plenty to do in Helsinki for that period of time? We’re trying not to fill our holiday with a lot of jumping around from place to place— but want a central location with enough to do and see. We’d be there from Dec 19-26.

5 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

It will be very, very quiet in the city between Dec 24-26.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

If you intend to travel to Finland anyway, how about Lapland? Christmas here is a quiet family holiday, so pretty much everything will be closed. Searching the forum might help you find previous discussions on the subject. Lapland is another story, for them it's the high season and they're catering for tourists.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

Thanks for the Lapland suggestion-- I hadn't thought of that, but will look into it further. We will be flying into and out of Helsinki, so the trip up to Lapland would be an extra flight or train ride---and we'll have to weigh if that is worth it. Two of our kids will be just finished with finals at the end of a college semester, so we don't want to be traveling around like we typically might do. We're okay with a couple of days of downtime Christmas eve and day.

I've looked at previous Helsinki christmas posts, and they are helpful, but I was hoping to get some advice how to best split up our 2 weeks. right now, we have 1 week in Helsinki and 1 week in Iceland. Is one week in Helsinki too much? I guess we could always plan some day trips if we feel like we've seen the city after a few days.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 07:24
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

A week in Helsinki is a loooong time at the darkest time of year.

Two classic excursions from Helsinki:

1. Day trip to Tallinn, possibly with an overnight there.

2. Cruiseferry trip to Stockholm. Two nights aboard with a day in the Swedish capital.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 07:43
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days

Love the Stockholm ferry idea! I took a quick look and it is VERY reasonably priced. I think that idea is a winner! Thanks so much.

Reply to: Christmas in Helsinki- 7 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted