We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time/place to book tours?

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best time/place to book tours?

I am planning a trip to Lapland this October, and noticed that there are quite a few tours I can book online. However, I’d like to wait until I am in the area and have a feel for what is going on before booking. Are there any advantages to booking ahead of time or will I be fine booking once I arrive in Finland?

9 replies to this topic
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

It is off-season, so you will be totally fine booking once you are here. Just note, that most tours require, that you book minimum one day in advance.

Rovaniemi tourism office is right in the middle of the town. You can't miss it. They have the most information an contacts, but there are several safari companies around the area. Or you could also check Santa Claus Village. They also have several operators.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

I am travelling mid December and wonder should I need to book trips in advance too as was hoping to book them there. We will only be looking for taster trips as kids aged 5 & 8 so think it will be too cold for longer trips?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

Is this a DIY holiday or through an agent as a package?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

It may be difficult to find taster excursions through the safari companies as they only tend to sell longer ones to individual customers. Taster rides are usually arranged for the tour operator groups. However, at least in the Santa Claus Village the safari companies offer also shorter rides.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

It is a DIY trip thanks.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

Thanks. I will contact them there to see if I can book in advance as am concerned that may be all booked out with group tours and think long safari rides may bee too much for younger kids.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

No large groups to be expected in Lapland in October yet. The season starts from mid-November onwards.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

Wild Nordic we found very good :)

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time/place to book tours?

Wild Nordic we found very good :)

Also - I remember there is a family-type ‘taster’ excursion - where during the 3 or so hours, you have a shirt reindeer sled ride, short husky, short snowmobile ride (I think it’s the kids mini ones but maybe adults?), so nothing would be too long, and you would get to experience a few things.

Check wild nordic’s Website.

Reply to: Best time/place to book tours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted