We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

Stopped off for 18 hours on the way from Helsinki to Oulu, tg we didn't plan on longer....

Let me begin by saying that the Puijo Tower is great, but it is a 2km slog, mostly up hill, from the centre of town, so I advise taking a taxi unless you are fit. It is also TERRIBLY signposted, luckily we found a couple fo lads who put us on the right track. The views from the top are awesome, and there is a cafe at the top so you can have a coffee and look at the views. Because our hotel had advised 'it's a 20 minute walk from here' (actually took 50) I only had 20 minutes at the top before it closed, which was not long enough - and very annoying.

After walking back into town, the restaurant we had been recommended was closed.

On the Saturday morning we wanted to visit the Orthodox Church Museum, described in the Rough Guide as 'the best museum in Finland' - it was closed. Pouring with rain, so we walked into the centre of town hoping to buy some of the local meat / fish pie delicacy - only 3 market stalls open, none would sell me a small piece to sample, I could only buy a whole pie at 20+ euros, so that idea went out of the window.

The central market square is undergoing massive reconstruction, nothing to see there so after a cup of coffee we headed for the VB photographic museum - which was closed !!!

Shrugged our shoulders and and walked to the station to wait for our train. I am sure it is possible to have a good time in Kuopio (the Rough Guide recommends a stop there on the way north) but sadly, unlike our visits elsewhere in Finland, we didn't.

5 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

They sell mini kalakukko pies in the café in the indoor market at the edge of the market square.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

Rough Guide, got to remember to avoid that series of books.

I see no particular reason to make any sorts of detour to visit Kuopio. The Puijo Tower is OK, but if you have visited one lake side tower you've seen them all. A boat trip on the lake is nice when the weather is good.

There is quite a reconstruction going on. As it is such a major city, there absolutely needs to be an underground parking garage. It doesn't matter if they have to turn the Market Place upside down and demolish an indoor market building from the 19th century.

Kuopio, Finland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

Kuopio is one of the biggest tourist cities in Finland. There are many construction works in Kuopio at the moment because Kuopio is improving for example its city center. After the construction work the Kuopio city center will be the most idyllic city center in Finland.

The city center and the market place are under a huge construction at the moment. The city center around the market place will be turned into a lovely prom so it will be even more comfortable area for tourists and locals than before. Kuopio has had an underground parking garage under the market place and by the construction work it will be expanded so it will be even more easier for people to come straight to the lively city center also by car. Under the market place there will also be built a shopping center with direct connections to the market hall, the underground parking garage and the other shopping centers around the market place. The construction will be done during 2012 and 2013. The underground market place is supposed to be be ready in the spring 2013.

Kuopio market hall, by the market place has been selling local and imported products since 1902. Its facade was renovated at the end of 2012 following its traditional style and it will be renovated also from the inside during the spring 2013. The market hall will be closed during the renovation and will be opened in May. It remains as one of the most traditional place for shopping in Kuopio with several stalls offering a variety of local speciality products.

Kuopio Market place is indisputable hub of Kuopio in summer, where you can experience the traditional local atmosphere at its best. Being under as huge construction as the Kuopio market place is right now, it is only natural that the place is not at its best right now. Yet that is to be considered as a minor harm in comparison to the final outcome, the bright new city center that it will be soon.

Kuopio city center will definitely be worth a visit and we welcome all tourists warmly welcome to Kuopio and the new city center with all its new delights.

Kind regards, Kuopio Tourist Information

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

"bright new city center"

Yes, the definition of city culture is whether the city would look better or worse if it was demoilshed and built up again. We now know the official opinion of the state of city culture in Kuopijo.

Now that Nilsiä is part of Kuopio I can figure out one reason to visit the 'city'; Tahko.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.

Perhaps the money would have been better spent on some signposts to the Puijo Tower..........

Reply to: We went to Kuopio, but it was closed.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kuopio