We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Linkoping

canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Linkoping

I love to travel and was excited to find out my nephew is getting married in Sweden next summer and I've never been. He will be married in Linkoping apparantly in a large castle. My sister in law will be paying for us to spent the night in this castle on the night of her sons wedding. First of all does anyone have any idea of which castle this is likely to be or are there many? If I can find out where it is I can look it up online and maybe book additional nights there. I will have to ask her if I can't figure it out but with her being a doctor and the time difference its easy to keep missing her.

The second thing is what is there to do in Linkoping? I googled it and came up with an airplane museum (not my thing) and pictures of cathedrals, castles and barns. Please tell me there are things to do here. I don't want to travel halfway around the world and not see anything interesting.

4 replies to this topic
Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Linkoping

Hi!

there are a few castles in the Linköping area. This castle, called Bjärka Säby, is popular for weddings so it could be the one: http://www.nyaslottet.com/

Things to do in Linköping? Well, you pretty much said it all :-) I live in the area but to be frank there's not that much to do/see within the city limits.

But I think you should go to the old town, Gamla Linköping. A nice place just to stroll around. There a few shops and a nice café there as well.

If you want to make the most of your stay hire a car and explore the surroundings. There are many nice places well worth a visit:

Göta Kanal www.visitlinkoping.se/default.asp…

Vadstena: www.ostergotland.info/Municipality.aspx…

Söderköping: http://www.soderkoping.se/Tourist/

Nice little town with it's own ice cream restaurant :-) And the beautiful archipelago just around the corner.

The mountain Omberg: http://www.upplevomberg.se/

Could also be a good idea to check out www.ostergotland.info/Default.aspx?m=26086 for more ideas.

Best regards

Jörgen

canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Linkoping

Thanks Jörgen. I'm starting to think maybe I'll spend a day or 2 in Stokholm and a day or 2 in Linkoping

Linkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Linkoping

"I live in the area but to be frank there's not that much to do/see within the city limits."

I second that emotion. Vadstena and Söderköping are two pretty cute towns though. I would try to spend at least two days in Stockholm.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
414 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Linkoping

You should take a second look at the Swedish Air Force Museum in Linkoping. We went there a month ago and loved it. My wife and sister-in-law also enjoyed it. There are Cold War displays, and examples of Cold War-era Swedish kitchens, so it is not just non-stop airplanes. This is a modern museum, and the aircraft are displayed imaginatively. I mean, how often do you get to see Swedish airplanes?? There is a good cafe, and we had an excellent lunch there.

Reply to: Things to do in Linkoping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Linkoping
More Linkoping Topics