We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for 1 night before cruise

NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Hotel for 1 night before cruise

Hi, we are arriving at Arlanda Airport on August 23th and will be staying over for the night before making our way to the Varta Hamnen Pier #523 in order to board the Oceania Marina Cruise Ship. The cruise line is offering a night at the Scandic Park for $598 (approx. 3900SEK) or a night at the Sheraton Stockholm for $698 (approx. 4500SEK). That's for two people and I believe includes transportation to the ship next day. That sounds extremely expensive to me! Any recommendations on a clean, decent, hotel within reasonable taxi distance to the port?

Also we will take a tour the next day (the ship spends the first night in Stockholm) covering some major tourist sites. But we will have plenty of time before boarding the ship to wander around on our own. Any suggestions for something more fun and more relaxed than the "grand tour?" Something a little off the beaten-tourist-track?

Appreciate all your help!

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
1. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

Hi!

that sounds ridiculously expensive. If you book the Scandic Park yourselves you could get away with an "early bird" booking for around $250 for a suite! And around $150 for a standard room.

I'd suggest to arrange the booking yourselves and take a taxi the dock. Must work out way much cheaper.

Kind regards

Jörgen

Edited: 04 April 2013, 12:13
London
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

Those cruise ship companies have some nerve...

NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

You're not kidding! That's why we are arranging all our tours privately as well!

NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

Jorgen, thank you for your reply. Is the Scandia well located for a few hours of walking around before we board the ship?

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
5. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

Depends a bit on what you want to see and do. The Scandic Park is located roughly 1.2 miles from the Royal Castle (and the Old Town). It's also located next to the Humlegården Park which is quite a nice park to stroll around. The park also hosts the Royal Library.

So the hotel is in a quite central location but. There are more central ones closer to the Old Town for instance. Personally I like the Hilton Slussen, price range is roughly the same as for the Scandic Park.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189852-d229386…

But pretty much any hotel in a central location will fit the bill I guess. And almost all of them will be cheaper then via the cruise ship company :-)

6. Re: Hotel for 1 night before cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 09:45