We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

I am hoping a local can help me. Husband and self are travelling to Stockholm to attend the above race meet in May. We will be there from 20 May to 30 May. It appears that accommodation is very expensive throughout this time anywhere in Bromma and surrounds. Am unsure if there is anything cheaper closer into Stockholm itself that we could book. The website for Solvalla stated a list of accommodation to book at, but all are either booked out or extremely expensive. If anyone could offer a suggestion of where to stay that we could easily get public transport out to the track during the 3 day race meet (24/25/26 May) it would be much appreciated. There are many hotels showing on Google Maps, but all in Swedish, and as we are Australian, my Swedish is non existant.

We are willing to pay up to around AUD $150-$180 a night, unfortunately I cant convert that into SEK for you. We will be flying in and out of Arlanda Airport.

This is our first visit to Sweden so am very confused.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Hi,

Elitloppet attracts many visitors which is the reason for accomodation being scarse and expensive. I think the best you can do is to check hotel searching sites that scan a large number of hotel booking sites, eg www.hotelscombined.com and www.trivago.com.au

It will not be easy to find a double room on your dates in the range 150 - 180 AUD.

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

hhhmmm... I am fast coming to that conclusion...thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

I did a quick check using:

http://www.booking.com

http://www.hotels.com

Looks like you will have some options, if an Apartment hotel or hostel is ok.

The price range that you gave is about 1000 - 1200 SEK/night.

You can translate prices by e.g entering the following into google search:

150 AUD in SEK

Google will then print out of much 150 AUD is in SEK.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Ibis Spånga has rooms for 500SEK at those dates! (no breakfast included)

A bit weird hotel in an industrial area but still OK.

I have stayed there!

A bit off the radar, but maybe rent bikes! Its some 5 kms to Solvalla!

ibis.com/sv/…index.shtml

Edited: 15 March 2013, 21:50
Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

BUGGER!! I made a typing error!

Not avaliable! on those dates!

Sorry!

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Thanks for your efforts. I have also looked at Airbnb and came across an apartment for rent in Bastugatan, Stockholm which looks lovelly, is apparently 20 mins from apartment and rail connections to Sundbyberg Rail Station. It is around AUD$1600.00 for the 10 nights (seems reasonable given the prices of hotels)

We would also then be in a prime position to walk around Stockholm on the days/nights/mornings we are not heading out to Racetrack. I assume we would be able to buy a rail pass of some description which should make the train travel prices reasonable.

What do the locals think?? Would this be a good alternative to trying to stay out near Sundbyberg or the Racetrack?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Hi,

Bastugatan is in a great location! I would definitely stay in that area instead of in Bromma or Sundbyberg. Stockholm Södra commuter train station is within walking distance and so is also a metro station. Many good restaurants, cafes and bars in the area and the old town is just around the corner.

You can buy travel passes valid for 24h, 72h or 7 days. Link to SL (public transport): http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Thanks HOXA61.... I think the Slussen Train Station is the closest station and by what you have said I think I will book this Apartment. One other owner has replied today and that is in Norrmalm, or thereabouts. That looks fairly good also, its just a toss up. Could you help me with this query. Say we take the train from Slussen and need to get to the Sundbyberg station, which lines do we take? I have printed off a map showing all the train lines but I am uncertain if I would take the Black line out of T Central or one of the blue lines?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

Hi,

Slussen is a metro station. From Slussen you have two options for traveling to Sundbyberg:

1. Metro green or red line from Slussen to T-Centralen (two stops). Green and red lines use the same platform at Slussen but different tracks.

2a. Commuter train from T-Centralen to Sundbyberg (two stops)

2b. Metro blue line from T-Centralen to Sundbyberg (7 stops)

But if you stay at Bastugatan you have the Stockholm Södra commuter train station within walking distance. From there you can take a commuter train calling at Sundbyberg (any train towards Jakobsberg/Kungsängen/Bålsta). Trains depart at least every 15 minutes.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for attending Elitloppet at Sovalla Racetrack

HI!

If you want to rent an apartment please use something local like Coocon or Absoluteapartment as they have much better local knowledge then AirBnb. I would stay in central Stockholm, preferably Old town if you can find something affordable there, most apartments are actaully resonably priced compared to hotels. Getting to Solvalla is easy, first of all you will have hepas of free busses leaving from central station for the race, or you just take the metro to either Sundbyberg or Alvik and then the bus from there. Stockholm is small and you'll have no problem getting around!

Hope you'll have a great stay!