We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Hi,

We only have time to visit one castle during our brief stay in Sweden this summer. Both Skokloster and Gripsholm look beautiful. I am having a hard time deciding which one to visit. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
662 reviews
1. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Gripsholm is older, 16th C, and contains the National portrait gallery. Skokloster was created by a field marshal during the mid 17th C and has lavish interiors and is unique in Sweden. You could say its a question of whether you prefer paintings or furniture/interior decoration. I find it hard to choose myself.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
759 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

I agree it's a difficult choice. They are both beautiful and old, but different. Both are impressive.

Skokloster is situated by lake Mälaren, in a purely pastoral setting, a lovely landscape. Besides Skokloster itself, there is only the lovely landscape to look at, (and that is enough maybe, you could make a nice walk in the area if you have time.)

You can get there by train + bus, or by boat, or boat just one way

I think it should be a lovely boat trip, but then I a haven't actually done it myself. But, of cause it takes longer time.

stromma.se/en/Skargard/Stromma-Kanalbolaget/

(but Strömma seems to be rebuilding their English website at the moment, 5/5-14, the swedish version seems to be in a better shape)

Gripsholm, is located by the cute little town of Mariefred, by lake Mälaren. The surrounding landscape is also lovely. You can get there by train + bus. In the summer, instead of the bus, there is also a museum steam railway, Läggesta - Mariefred.

Also in the summer, you can travel to Mariefred by steam ship, one way, or both ways. This also takes longer time.

I think you'd be happy with either.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Thank you both very much for your replies. I am leaning towards Skokloster because of the furnishings. We are going to see a lot of art work during our trip (multiple countries). However, the grounds at Gripsholm really appeal to me.

I'm tempted to try both. It's nice to know that the decision isn't just difficult for me. At least I have a couple of months to decide. :)

Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

I have a quick follow-up question if you don't mind...

How much time would you recommend spending at each? I was thinking 4hrs, not including travel time. Possibly longer if we decide to spend more time exploring the grounds. Is that realistic? There will be 10 of us ranging from ages 12 to 65 so I don't see us making it an all day event.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
662 reviews
5. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

I would say 3-4 hours including lunch.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
94 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Skokloster also has the advantage of being close to Sigtuna - the oldest city in Sweden and one of the most interesting with many historic buildings - not large but well worth a visit on the way.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

Thanks! I am now convinced that I need to try both. I already have Sigtuna on my list and will squeeze in Skokloster that day. 3-4hrs should work great. :)

8. Re: Skokloster Castle or Gripsholm Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 09:46