We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gps / Sat Nav

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
345 posts
415 reviews
Save Topic
Gps / Sat Nav

I've hired a car for 8 days of our holiday in summer.

Will I need a GPS system or is it easy to navigate with a map (We had a bad Polish navigation experience!!)

I don't really want to spend £100 on hiring a GPS, it's probably cheaper to buy one!

PS how ridiculous that you can't use CAPITAL LETTERS in a title!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

Where will you go? Stockholm can be a little tricky to navigate in, but it's easy to drive between cities without a GPS.

Don't know what phones you have, but I have previously, when I have travelled in other countries, cached/downloaded areas of Google maps for offline usage. Can be done if you have an Android phone. The ability to zoom in and out, and always see in what direction north is is great. Beats a normal map, but isn't as good as an GPS. I'm nowdays using navigation software on my phone, and it works offline as well.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

You will have no problems using a map as long as you just want to go from one city to another. The roads have plenty of signs to show you where to turn off, including signs that show you that you are approaching a cross and where you want to go so you will get ample warning driving the countryside.

If you need to find specific addresses within cities or e.g. within the Stockholm metropolis area as MrTheTraveller says, you might benefit from some kind of navigation equipment but if you don't need that very often people will be happy to help you if you stop and ask.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
345 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

Thank you, I don't need to find specific places in towns as such so I'll just use a map. I've printed googlemaps directions to use as well.

Can you reccomend a Sweden Road map that I should buy please?

Thank you for the advice

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

The atlas you want is this one:

resebokhandeln.com/sweden-roadatlas-2014-p-1…

"Motormännen" is the sister organisation to AA

As most Swedes today i have a smartphone with navigation. Works fine in all developed countries!

Beware of roaming costs!

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

True, the KAK road atlas is the best. It does seem to be cheaper here: bokus.com/bok/… though I have not compared the rates for postage and packing when they ship to England.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
345 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

Thanks for the reccomendation, I've ordered it.

Fingers crossed it will make it's way here safely so that I can have a good look prior setting off.

Thanks for your help :)

7. Re: Gps / Sat Nav

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 09:46