We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Rotorua

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
1 Day in Rotorua

I'm spending a day in Rotorua and am trying to make the most of it. My bus arrives at 12PM and I have the Maori and Hangi dinner at 6PM. I'm trying to find something to do in between.

Is it possible to visit the Waimangu Volcanic Valley in between? It looks to be a 30 minutes drive from my hostel and the valley closes at 5PM so I should be back in time for the Hangi. Would a taxi be feasible/cheap enough to take me there or is there another way? How long would the public bus take?

if this isn't feasible, any other recommendations? I'll be missing the geysers at 10AM and I'm interested in scenery.

4 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Rotorua

It would make more sense to visit Whakarewarewa Living Village as it is right in Rotorua city.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Rotorua

Either Kuirau Park which is free, and centrally located, or Whakarewarewa or Te Puia. All can be reached by a city buses, taxi, or by the thermal shuttle services.

Otherwise a stroll through Government Gardens, out to Sulphur Point and along the lakefront will give you a great overview of the thermal city.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Rotorua

Thanks you, these options sound less hectic. I'm located close to the Kuirau Park so that might be the best option then.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Rotorua

Kuirau Park and Ohinemutu Village would be good choices although you would see geysers up close if you chose to go to Te Puia. If you are going to the concert, Te Po, you will be able to see much of Te Puia at night.

If you are going to Mitai you could also add Rainbow Springs at night to your experience.

Reply to: 1 Day in Rotorua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rotorua District