We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility of Brighton

Pittsburgh...
9 posts
Save Topic
Accessibility of Brighton

Looking for some thoughts and advice on how accessible Brighton is for a wheelchair user. My brother and sister and I will be visiting Brighton in April (from the US) and we'd like to spend our time taking it easy and exploring shops, especially coffee shops. We will be staying about a half hour from Brighton and will be traveling via train pretty much everyday to visit the city. I expect we'll have to deal with some steps here and there but my brother and I can easily lift my sister and her chair when needed. Anything else we should be prepared for? Any tips for the best place to visit the beach? What about public accessible bathrooms that she could wheel into and get around?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
3 replies to this topic
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessibility of Brighton

Sadly there is no "beach" at Brighton, it is all pebbles.

However there is a wonderful promenade all along the front at Brighton, it runs for miles. It is flat and wide and many people in Brighton walk the promenade, or go on there with skates, skateboards etc.

One area that you may like is The Lanes. As you can guess from the name, these are narrow lanes which contain many interesting shops - antique shops, coffee shops, etc.However being narrow I am not sure how wheelchair friendly they are.

Brighton is a wonderful city, with a friendly and open minded population. Many years ago (1950s and 1960s) a lot of people from the theatre world in London lived in Brighton so it got an "arty" and "gay friendly" reputation.

There are now many gays that live there so there are a lot of gay bars and nightclubs.

There is a fine pier, which again is flat and wide so may be OK for a wheelchair user.

There is also Brighton Pavilion, probably the most unusual building in any seaside town in England (in fact perhaps one of the most unusual buildings in England full stop). Built and extended by various members of the Royal Family (often the Prince of Wales), it was built away from London so they could carry on their "party" lifestyle out of the gaze of the people in London.

More here

https://brightonmuseums.org.uk/royalpavilion/

Here is the Visit Brighton web site

https://www.visitbrighton.com/

I think you will love Brighton.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
The Lanes
The Lanes
5,270 Reviews
Brighton, UK
London
London
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
The Prince of Wales
The Prince of Wales
518 Reviews
London, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessibility of Brighton

An excellent summary. Just to add a +1 re the beach which is steep, pebbly and will most likely disappoint. But other than that you’ll have a great time.

Are you staying in Lewes ?

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Lewes
Lewes
East Sussex, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessibility of Brighton

If you want a ramp for a train it may need booking days in advance. Out of interest where are you staying it may be worth looking at buses as they are low floor easy access.

In terms of accessibility Brighton is good, Brighton Pavilion does have a lift for first floor access but you may have to ask to use it. Everywhere else is fine but you can’t do the back stage tour at Sealife it’s upstairs and no lift access.

I hope this helps a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Reply to: Accessibility of Brighton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted