We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiring

5 posts
Save Topic
Passport expiring

Flying into Copenhagen on Dec 10. Just noticed my passport expires March 6 and my husband’s on April 8. Will we have a problem getting into country with only 3 mos left on passports?

11 replies to this topic
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport expiring

Well it depends where you’re coming from. If you’re coming into Denmark from another schengwn country you don’t need to show passport and you’ll be fine. If you’re coming from somewhere else like the us or Asia your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expiring

Coming from US. So six months not 3?

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expiring

Yes 6 months , you can also read here:

https:/…denmark.html

It shouldn’t be difficult though to get an extension in your passport (at least it’s not in Europe) so you don’t have to wait for a completely new one. They’ll just add an appendix stating extended validity. I’d get on that asap though

Edited: 21 November 2017, 10:11
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expiring

That sight says 6 months “reccomened” so what is the hardline rule? Do we not get in with 3 mos left on our passport? That’s what I want to know.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
929 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport expiring

The passport should have three months left when you exit:

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport expiring

Yes, Anders J is correct. The Schengen rule is your passport must be valid for three months beyond the intended duration of your stay. If you arrive 10 December then your 6 March expiration is already too early. You need to do an expedited renewal now. Otherwise, you will almost certainly be denied boarding at the airport before you ever leave. All airlines check the Timatic database for entry requirements and the 3-month rule will be well known to the airline staff.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 22:18
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport expiring

Also, just for clarity, I pulled up the Timatic database info from the IATA that all airlines will pull up when you check in, and this is exactly what it says:

"Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of intended stay."

In the Air Travel forum we've had a couple posts over the last few months of people who didn't know this rule and were denied boarding when they got to the airport. So it's good you checked now, instead of finding out the hard way as they did, since there is still time to get to a new one if you hurry, but you do need to act right now.

For more info on what your options are see this US State Department page:

https:/…expedited.html

Edited: 21 November 2017, 22:34
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport expiring

It shouldn’t be difficult though to get an extension in your passport (at least it’s not in Europe) so you don’t have to wait for a completely new one. They’ll just add an appendix stating extended validity. I’d get on that asap though

You can't get an extension on a US passport. OP needs to get a new one at a passport agency as she doesn't have enough time even for an expedited one.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
257 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport expiring

I have a similar question as the OP as we have a very last minute, unexpected trip next week from the US to Amsterdam. My US Passport expires 4 months after my return date. I am so confused over Schengen rules for passport expiration (the 3 month regulation time frame vs 6 month recommended time frame). I posted in Amsterdam forum too but since the topic was already going here I wanted to see what the current thinking is.

Safe to travel to with 4 months left before my US Passport expires? Thoughts? Thank you!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport expiring

"I am so confused over Schengen rules for passport expiration (the 3 month regulation time frame vs 6 month recommended time frame). "

I don't understand why you are confused. The answer was explicitly given above in#5 with links and direct quotes from the IATA Timatic database in #7. It's a very clear and well-known rule (despite the incorrect answer given first) for Schengen countries, but again:

Your passport must be valid for three months beyond your intended date of departure from the Schengen area.

Reply to: Passport expiring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted