We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scandinavian Trip

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Scandinavian Trip

We are planning to spend 2 weeks in Scandinavia in August next year, flying into Copenhagen then flying to Stockholm and finally departing from Helsinki.

Our plan is to spend about 4/5 days in an apartment in each of the cities (including a day trip from Helsinki to Talinn).

At this stage we are not considering hiring a car or driving anywhere, but are quite happy to take trains to visit areas out of the capital cities.

We are very fit 50 & 60 year olds and are more than comfortable navigating cities by bike, on foot or using public transport.

Firstly, I am keen to know whether we have about the right amount of time in each city - we enjoy visiting local museums, good local food and wine, general places of interest.

Secondly, if anyone can suggest a rough itinerary - it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scandinavian Trip

This recent thread my inspire you a bit: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18951…

4-5 days will be fine for exploring Copenhagen - and should make room for a day trip. And the same for Stockholm and Helsinki. With the relative short amount of time I think you will have to decide btw going deep in to exploring the three citys or see the three citys briefly and see more of the surrindings in the three countries. Tallinn is a cute little city but not that different from what you will see in smaller swedish cities (in my opinion)

I must admit that I have never been to Helsinki, but in general Copenhagen and Stockholm are more popular among tourists (so maybe it's for a reason).

When you decide on an overall initerary we will be happy to give you more detailed advice on the Copenhagen/Denmark part.

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scandinavian Trip

Thanks Louise - will read your attached thread and start planning in a bit more detail!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scandinavian Trip

I'm dropping in with hints for Helsinki. I second the over-night ferry from Sthlm to Hel. They're so much more that the ferries in the English channel for instance, more like cruisers. + saves you a night in a hotel. Buying a "cruise" but not using the return is quite ok.

Some visitors who end up in Helsinki think it's "seen" in half a day, others don't think they get enough in a week. August is an optimal time to visit: the Festival is on, you can bike around and the city buzz is at it's best. The trip tp Tallinn is popular as well as the several saunas and island hopping. Feel free to ask us more at the TA Helsinki Forum.

Happy planning!

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Scandinavian Trip

Stockholm is beautiful as is Copenhagen< both require 3-4 days. Helsinki is really austere, and put bluntly, very boring. Stockholm closes down after 10;00 pm. Copenhagen open all night. Actually nothing happens in Copenhagen until after 11:00pm. Good travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scandinavian Trip

Sounds great! You may want to add a day trip (ideally with overnight)from Copenhagen to Malmo (a short train ride away).

Great time to visit Scandinavia and would also recommend day trips from Stockholm around the archipelago or to somewhere like Drottningholm.

I was only in Helsinki and Tallinn in the winter but go the impression there might be more to see in Stockholm / Copenhagen... Tallinn is small but beautiful and you can see the old town in a day trip. I’ve heard the Finish lakes north of Helsinki are beautiful in the summer if you like the outdoors?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
913 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scandinavian Trip

Stockholm: main attractions in the city: Gamla stan (Old Town), The Royal Palace, Vasa Museum, Skansen Open Air Museum, Sergelstorget & Drottninggatan pedestrian street, City Hall, Nordiska Museet, ABBA The Museum.

Copenhagen: Little Mermaid, Strøget pedestrian street, Amalienborg Royal Palace, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek Museum, Tivoli, Rosenborg Castle, The Round Tower, Opera, Nyhavn.

Helsinki: The Lutheran Cathedral, Senate Square, Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, The Rock Church, Sibelius Monument & Park, Kamppi Chapel of Silence, Seurasaari Open Air Museum, Ateneum, Kiasma, Design Museum. Day trips: Porvoo old town, Turku Archipelago.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 01:57
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
377 posts
502 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scandinavian Trip

I agree with your decision to travel by train. I did something like that and the dividends were enormous. Go from Stockholm to Helsinki by ferry boat since years ago the company that owned the trains operated the boats for free travel by eur-rail pass holders. That was one of the real bargains for carrying a eur-rail pass then. Copenhagen has art museums and so does Stockholm. There is a long modern bridge connecting Denmark with western Sweden suitable for cars and trains. Copenhagen might deserve more time than Helsinki but I do not know your tastes. I liked other places. Helsinki is known in the surroundings for architecture. Helsinki is a much different kettle of fish for sure. The "phrase general places of interest" covers a wide variety of things so make a list of the priorities and locate them by proximity for convenience. I would give four or five days for Copenhagen and then remember the time needed to get Stockholm is nothing to sneeze at. Stockholm deserves at least three days maybe four. Time ended to get to Helsinki is another matter as the ferry boat takes much more time. As for a side trip to Tallinn from Helsinki much depends on how much you like and want to stay in Helsinki. Estonia might appeal to you. I would not sacrifice a trip that is going well in Helsinki for a day trip to Estonia. My preference would be to go to Estonia and skip Helsinki if you decide that one place does not have what you want to see. Otherwise stay in Finland. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Scandinavian Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted