We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay?

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay?

Hello

Me and my siblings are looking to organise a week away present for our parents and I was wondering in your opinion where you think the nicest region is to look for them? They have loved the greek islands they have visited already and I have heard excellent things about Skiathios.

We would love them to be somewhere close to good restaurants and nightlife (but not boozy night life if you know what I mean!), with access to pretty beaches etc (they do not have any problems getting around themselves).

Which areas would you recommend? If you were going back, where would you stay?

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay?

PS: Would Skiathos town be quite noisy with the aeroplanes? What are Troulos, Kolios, Aghia Paraskevi like? Unfortunately we are on a smaller budget, so even though we may not be able to afford really fancy accomodation at least if we pick a good area it may compensate for that! Thank you very much!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay?

Would have been useful to know where they have been before, easier to match up something. I have been about 4 times and always stay in Skiathos town.

Skiathos town is the only proper village on the island. The rest is just ribbon development along the south coast road, there's not much that can be said about ribbon resorts like Kolios/Ag.Paraskevi/Troulos, they are close to decent beaches have accommodation and a scattering of tavernas and the usual tourist outlets, if that's what they want OK, but by far the best selection of restaurants and bars is in Skiathos town. It's not the planes that you will notice in Skiathos town, it's the usual motorbikes roaring round in the night particularly if you are close to the ring road, or along the road east of the ferry quay towards the row of music bars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay?

Hi,

I've been to Skiathos twice and both times stayed in Skiathos Town. It's a nice town, not full of lager louts. We stayed towards the airport end both times and found that it was fine. There's only a few planes a day and they're always during the day anyway. In fact, there's a lovely little bar on the way out to the airport, on the airport road. Hopefully it's still there. I'm pretty sure it's like a converted windmill or similar. It's so close to the airport, you can literally touch the wheels of the plane as they come down, and the water at the edge where you can sit, comes up in waves as the plane goes overhead. Strange place to recommend I know, but very good for being just about as close to a landing plane as you can get!

Seriously, if they stay in Skiathos Town they can walk to Megali Ammos beach in around 15-20 minutes approx and also be in a good position to get the bus to the beaches. Or the other option is to stay in Megali Ammos area and walk into the main town in the evening if wanted. Though I would say Megali Ammos beach is not as good as some of the others out of town.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay?

I'd say that Skiathos Town would be a good choice to stay - it's so easy to get to any of the village beaches by bus, taxi or rented car/bike. Also, Skiathos Town is where the excursion boats and ferries leave from, should your parents decide they fancy a boat trip.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay?

Skiathos town would be ideal, as the harbour is the best place to be in the evening and its great to wander the back streets finding somewhere to eat or for some inpromptu shopping ...

Being in town, then you can head out on the bus in the morning for a beach or the evening to one of the other resorts for a meal.

If town is not for them, then Koukounaries has some lovely accomodation, and its nice out in the pine trees near the lake and the beach.

In town there is a small hotel called the Hotel Orsa which is right on the cliffs overlooking the harbour. You have to book direct but it has a great location. Might be worth a look.

There is an excellent report by Diamond on the Skiathos Bullletin board see www.mfbb.net/skiathos/skiathos-about4200.html

I am sure your parents will love Skiathos, it has something for everyone, and will probably take the opportunity to visit Skopolos too.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay?

PS Aircraft noise

The aircraft usualy take off away from town, and land over the harbour. Its great to watch them fly by as they land.

You sometimes hear the roar for a few seconds as they depart, but there are no night flights and the last aircraft is the athens flight which is a propellor aircraft around 10.30pm and that usually departs over the harbour.

If the winds are in the south, which is rare then the jets will depart over the harbour, but this is usually in the day time and rarely after 8pm.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay?

I think it's quite nice to sit at one of the harbour cafes and watch the world go by, together with the boats and planes.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay?

I came back from Skiathos last August with mixed feelings, the town was really nice, but i was really dissapointed with the beaches, we stayed at villa miltos and the beach at Kolios was awful. koukanaries was overated in my opinion i have seen many better. I would stay in the town as the buses runs frequently and doesnt take long from one end of the island to the other. Its all a matter of personal choice but i much preferred Kafelonia.

Atherton, Manchester
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay?

Hello,

You don't say how old your parents are, but I am in my early fifties and myself and my partner stayed in Achladies at the Villa Apollon. We had a wonderful time, infact the best holiday ever. Look up the Apollon on Trip Advisor.

Getting around Skiathos is really easy, taxis, water taxi from Achladies to Skiathos Town and the numerous buses that run along the coast all day long.

Wonderful beaches to be explored and numerous tavernas along the coast. Skiathos Town is very cosmopolitan and very beautiful.

Not all that much to do but a catamaran trip with Captain George from the Fresh Bar on the new harbour is brilliant, a trip to the monastery, dining in the abundance of restaurants and lazy on the beautiful beaches! What more can one ask?

Do look at the Apollon, the atmosphere, accommodation, friendliness, pool area with leather sunloungers, clean towels daily, fantastic food and a bar that is stocked with every drink you can imagine. Plus the hosts are wonderful, helpfull and entertaining people. A place not to be missed!

Jean (Villa Apollon Fan) xxx

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay?

I'd say choose another island, e.g. Santorini, Mykonos, south Peloponese (Naphlio), Crete, but don't inflict this island on your parents. Not worth it.