We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Hydra

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
112 reviews
Trip Report - Hydra

We spent 2 night on Hydra at the end of July and we should have stayed longer.

Hadn't visited since 1981 and always had very fond memories.

It hasn't changed that much...obviously more tourism, more restaurants, cafés, shops etc but still has the charm we remember.

Stayed at Hotel Mistral which was wonderful....I've posted a separate review.

2 nights means 1 full day and a little on either side depending of ferry times.

We timed our visit to coincide with meeting our friends who docked via tender while they stopped to visit Hydra on their Greek Island cruise. We felt very privileged to go on board their gorgeous ship as guests for a drink and saw the sun setting and the light it shone over Hydra - a different view from the sea.

With a full day ahead of us, straight after breakfast we decided to hunt down Leonard Cohen's house. I have read the posts on this forum about it and the many varied directions it gives. I tried these directions and still walked for ages up many, many steps and got lost ! So the go-to plan is to get to the Yellow painted little grocery store and ask the lovely lady there ( who is probably sick of people asking her ). We later met an American/Greek guy who knew Leonard in the 70's when he lived on Hydra.

As we were walking around by chance we came across the hospital. I had a minor issue and asked at the hospital - no doctor there until the next day ! .... well then I went up the road to a stand alone Doctor and was seen almost straight away, after he finished his previous patient.....

All went well and no payment at all....and I did offer - Thanks Greek government. ( Thought I'd mention this as so many people have issues when travelling and don't know what to do in a foreign country ).

Everyone told us that the nicer beaches are just a 10-20 minute walk away. Well, it was now after midday and we thought we could walk to the beach and spend the afternoon there. Well, I think we over extended ourselves. Lucky we took water with us. We started walking past Sunset restaurant, past Spilia, past Avlaki, over the little bridge past Kamini...when we past people they said " Oh it's not too much further - 10 mins " - maybe it was a Greek 10 minutes ;) - well we kept walking around the steep hill on and very nice wide path , until the path finished and we hit a dirt track and eventually found the beach with the Four Seasons beach Taverna at Plakes Vlychou. It took us just under an hour - enough said, we took the water taxi back in the late afternoon ! Nice views along the way but mid July probably wasn't the best time to walk this. 2 beach chairs and Umbrella cost 8 Euro. At least we ate and drank there and it was very peaceful and not too crowded at all.....lovely swimming, just too many pebbles and rocks - bring reef shoes here.

Back in Hydra that evening we enjoyed browsing through the shops, strolling through the streets and people watching. We had lovely dinners both nights.

After breakfast the next morning, more strolling around the streets , a quick swim off the rocks near the Sunset Restaurant until it was time for the ferry. One thing not to miss, which I ate waiting for the ferry, is the Baklava ice cream at the ice cream shop near where the ferries depart. I can't tell you how wonderful it was. I took a photo so I could remember it , always!

Next visit we'll stay longer.

3 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
1. Re: Trip Report - Hydra

you know a sweet is good when you need to take a photo to remember it..thanks you for the trip report,it seems that you enjoyed everywhere you went .

Amherst...
Level Contributor
318 posts
2. Re: Trip Report - Hydra

Thank you for your report. It is always good to hear people's detailed experiences.

Thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report - Hydra

Thanks m_at2385 and codmasad.

I love other people's reviews and get so much info from here before I travel that I hope others may benefit from what I write.

Happy Travels !

Reply to: Trip Report - Hydra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted