We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return from Samos

west sussex
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Return from Samos

We have recently returned from Samos, so I thought that I would post a report summary of our visit. We stayed on the edge of Samos Town in self catering apartments. Samos Town did not immediately appeal to us, but it grew on us. It gave the impression of a Greek working town and we grew to like it very much - especially sitting in the square with a drink in the morning or evening and people watching. Kokkari and Pythagorion we found more tourist oriented, but attractive and interesting to walk around and have meals. The people were extremely friendly and welcoming and we found the cost of drinks and meals compared very favourably with Crete (which we have often visited).

We had a hire car so we did explore the island. One of our favourite outings was along the north coast. We visited the traditional mountain village of Vourliotes, wandering around the narrow streets and finishing with a drink in the tree shaded square; we then carried on to the monastery at Moni Vroda (strict on appropriate dress). We continued along the north coast road and turned off to Manolates, driving through the gorgeous Valley of the Nightingales. We ended up at Manolates for lunch, again enjoying the traditional timeless quality of the village. Please note, the roads up to these villages are very steep and twisting.

The recommended beaches at Psilli Ammos and Leivadaki were perfect with lovely sandy seabeds (thank you for the recommendations), although I was a bit concerned on the rough lane to Leivadaki. We had a meal at a very peaceful tavern at Agia Paraskevi.

The tunnel of Eupalinos was really worth the visit, although I was a little nervous when I saw the very narrow entrance - it did widen and I am glad we did it. We also enjoyed the archaeological museums at Samos Town and Pythagorion and the Temple of Hera. You can buy a ticket at the museum which gives entry to all four of these places.

Finally, for people who have expressed concerns about the migrant situation, there is no need to worry. The camp is close to Samos Town but we experienced no problems, no safely concerns and never felt intimidated in any way. It is a beautiful island, we would have no hesitation in returning.

5 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
235 reviews
1. Re: Return from Samos

Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear how people have enjoyed their trip.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Return from Samos

So happy to have a report from Samos ... have been there 2x both at end of May, but latest was about 10 years ago ... and I agree with you about Samos Town, it does grow on one. I particularly remember a meandering walk I took up to Ano Vathy (the high part of the port town) ... at that time, this part really felt rural, all private cottages, fenced yards with goats & chickens, v. quiet, walked along a dirt road for 40 minuts or so, no cars, the view across the bay was stunning, golden-stone buildings, terracotta tile roofs, deep teal blue water... it felt like being above an italian lake.

On both visits, had chance to talk with locals in Samos town ... some formerly-busy tavernas had closed, they felt a curtailed ferry schedule (practically no links between N.E. isles & Cyclades) had affected tourism. I believe now that this schedule is better, hope so, because Samos is an overlooked gem .. there are 2-3 UK package-holiday places... but lots of villages that time forgot, and awesome landscapes. At dinner one night I met a group of intrepid British hikers aged 75-90, who had walked 15+ miles between western villages that day. Wish I could see Samos again, but alas none of my "newbie" trip companions are interested so far..

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
3. Re: Return from Samos

I had to get in and out of Eupalinos tunnel 4 times, each one going a few meters more inside, until I convice myself I could do it. Then I did it :)

west sussex
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Return from Samos

The first bit is the most nerve racking isn't it?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Return from Samos

So glad you enjoyed Samos Selseylady. We return for our 4th visit soon and it never fails to disappoint. Hoping to find some new places this time and return to some old favourites too. Your comments about Samos Town growing on you I can understand. We haven't spent too long there, but I would like to visit in the evening to get a different vibe.

Reply to: Return from Samos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samos