We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus to Thessaloniki

NYC
9 posts
Save Topic
Ephesus to Thessaloniki

Hello. Hoping for a kind someone to untangle these travel plans. We are two graduate students flying into Istanbul (IST) on Wednesday, March 11. We want to spend one day in Ephesus and two days in Thessaloniki. (Yes, short, but we have to be back in Istanbul by Sunday, March 15th).

Does anyone know the best way to do this? Should we fly back and forth to Ephesus-Istanbul in one day? It looks like Pegasus air flies this route inexpensively. And then do the Istan/Thessa trip via train/bus? Or is it faster/easier to go from the Ephesus area to Thessaloniki and return to Istanbul?

Costs are a consideration.

All suggestions gratefully accepted! Thank you.

Judith

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

Hey and welcome Judith:-) Quite honestly, the itinerary you already mentioned appears to be the only possible way to even consider doing this in your time spread! Forget about getting from Ephessus direct to Thessalonika..If you arrive Istanbul on the 11th, you can use either use that day for your Ephessus adventure (assuming you're 'arriving' by whatever means early enough for a quick flight out!) or see if you can catch an overnight train into Salonika which arrives in the early morning.. you can have 2 full days leaving again on next day's overnighter getting you back into Istanbul early morning and maybe then connect for that day flight out to Ephessus..Still leaves you pracatically NO time in Istanbul but trust you've got plans to do so following the 15th:-) Enjoy!

NYC
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

Litsa, thank you, thank you for your reply.

OK, Izmir to Thessaloniki is out. Can you tell me if the overnight trains from Istanbul to Thessa are manageable, meaning are they as awful as everyone says? Or should we take a bus?

Thanks from another New Yorker!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

My pleasure Judith..but since I've never taken it, I don't know:-) There definetely IS a site for this train somewhere here..you may want to check out the dedicated Thessaloniki Forum here..think I saw the direct link there..and it does look pretty nice/updated with sleeper cars which I'd think you'd prefer for the haul! Wish I could help you out on this more..You can even re-post in Thessaliniki Forum..or even the Istanbul Forum..am sure one of them will supply the info! Keep enjoyin'!

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

This appears to be one for www.seat61.com. If there is ONE good seat on this train this site will tell you!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

yep. Found it. Seems like the overnight train is not as awful as 'everyone says'! Hopefully this guy's info is more reliable than what you've heard!

seat61.com/Turkey2.htm#Turkey%20-%20Greece

6. Re: Ephesus to Thessaloniki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 06:47