We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented car hire charges

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Rented car hire charges

What is the typical differences in hire charges for Prebooked cars and not prebooked cars ?

7 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Rented car hire charges

Hi Mainak,

It will vary from company to company and when you wish to be on the island.

For example if visiting in June, July or August some local companies are fully booked.

Travelling out of season it is sometimes possible to haggle but also some companies offer a discount for early pre-booking.

Many companies do not ask for a deposit at the time you pre-book.

I always pre-book so that I can get the actual car I want rather than just what they have left.

Whichever, just avoid Green Motion as they have disreputable businesses practices.

Bob

PS almost impossible to pre-book for less than 3 days

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Rented car hire charges

Any typical range ?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Rented car hire charges

Hi again,

A couple of examples here. For Express I had to do a dummy booking. I chose July for 7 days

https://www.expressrentacar.gr/bookings

https://www.cbr-rentacar.com/models.php

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Rented car hire charges

Can I ask about taking out holiday insurance covering Vehicle Hire Excess Waiver please.

Seem to remember you mentioning something about holiday insurance covering hire cars Bob?

We are planning a one day hire with Pefanis who said I didn't need to pre book.

Thanks.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: Rented car hire charges

Hi,

Pefanis do not usually do a one day pre book. You are lucky to get one from them as they are almost fully booked for June, July and August.

With Pefanis you do not need an excess waiver cover as Pefanis have no excess with their insurance.

If you book with a company that has an excess then excess waiver insurance is a good idea. Some will cover you for a day, or a week, or month, or year. There are several companies out there. I use this one and have an annual cover for about £40.

https:/…european-car-hire-excess-insurance

Note that if you damage a car then you need to cough up first and then claim from the insurance company so take photos and get a receipt from the rental company.

Bob

Level Contributor
5,247 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Rented car hire charges

Hi Bob, they put any spare cars on the forecourt in Lassi, friends hired 1 for a day last yr

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Rented car hire charges

Thanks for advice Bob. I wanted to pre book with Pefanis but he said no need. In case I can’t get what I need with them I’ll take out the excess waiver cover in case.

Reply to: Rented car hire charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia
Recent Conversations