We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
783 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

I am planning early for next year and have narrowed my ideas down to these two islands.

I plan to travel on Saturdays due to work constraints and will probably need to overnight either side of the holiday near where my flight is to/from.

My thoughts are to spend 3/4 days in Folegandros and then the remaining nights in Sifnos.

My queries are -

Which island would it be best to go to first?

I am thinking of flying to Santorini but can fly to Athens easily too - would it be better to fly to and back from Santorini or fly to one then come back from the other. Which would make it easier for the ferries.

I am aware that ferries might be affected by weather - which ferries are most reliable ?

4 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

Folegandros and Sifnos are both on the Piraeus - Santorini route performed by Zante Ferries. As it's a big conventional ferry, it's not really affected by weather.

In whatever order you do them you normally will have 3 ferries/week from Zante Ferries (on Monday - Wednesday - Saturday direction Santorini, on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday direction Piraeus.)

This is based on the fact they have covered that route for years already.

Besides Zante ferries, there is only Seajets between Sifnos and Folegandros (and v v) with the dreaded Seajet 2 and Superjet. Definitely not a nice trip on thos if the weather is a bit bad.

Wether you go to Sifnos or Folegandros first is really up to you and what flight is best for you. If you want to travel specifically on Saturday (and use the bigger conventional ferry), flying to Santorini means an overnight there and then the ferry at 7AM on Sunday morning to Folegandros. It's a 3 hour trip with the Adamantios Korais with a stop in Ios and Sikinos en route. And it's cheap, this year a 'deck' ticket is 8 euro for that trip. Folegandros to Sifnos is 9 Euro, takes 4,5 hours with a stop in Kimolos and Milos on Tuesday and Thursday.

If you fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus, it depends on your arrival time if you will need an overnight or not. Ferries are usually at 7AM and this year there is also the Seajet 2 at 4.30PM

I'll be in Folegandros second half of September this year, so you will be able to read a tripreport about Folegandros in due time.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 15:14
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
783 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

Thanks Nicksy!

Great info - do you know if those are the only ferries between the three islands? They were the ones I have found. No other 'local' ferries ?

Edited: 02 August 2018, 15:45
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

It is straightforward either to/from Santorini, or Athens, or both. Either direction.

It is usually one of flight timings and the odd night needed after/before a flight to make ferries.

That's up to you to suss.

The largest ferries, thus most reliable, are Zante ferries and Aegean Speed Lines Speedrunner 3(Piraeus - Sifnos only for your selection), Hellenic Highspeed(Santorini - Sifnos).

The small Seajet 2/Superjet are unfortunately prominent on your routes.

The ticket agencies at Kamares and Folegandros Chora have the details of all ferries.

http://www.openseas.gr/

https://hellenicseaways.gr/en/

www.aegeanspeedlines.gr/site/eng/index.php

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sifnos and Folegandros Late September/Early October

>>No other 'local' ferries ?<<