We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Wow, you think you are prepared for the spectacular beauty of this island that everyone talks about, but you are wrong ~ no one can imagine what the caldera view really looks like without being there in person.

We are staying at Anastasis in Imerovigli and we have been blown away by the people, the service, the grounds, our beautiful room with rain shower and heated bathroom floor and turndown service, and little treats everytime you turn around.

Needless the say, the sunsets are mind blowing and we get to sit in comfy lounge chairs with soft music piped in while we sip our wine and hold hands and thank our lucky stars that we are so lucky. We never take anything for granted and we have worked really hard over 30 years, so I know we have earned these wonderful vacations. We are 51 and this is our first time in Greece. We only came to Europe 4 years at age 47, so I tell Danielle that she too will make wonderful trips like this one day when it's their turn.

Anyways its getting late (happy birthday to my hubby, who's been sleeping for 13 minutes of his special day. Tomorrow, we discover Oia!

…blogspot.com/2011/09/santorini-omg.html

Kalispera............Jo

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Happy Birthday :))

Indeed. Views are jaw dropping, everytime i see them :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Oh..Jo;)))) How wonderful! Those views are indeed a 'must see in a lifetime'..Happy Birthday to hubby (who am sure is having some sweet dreams;) Believe it's a given you guys are totally Enjoyin'!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Wow. Those pics make me want a return visit to the fabulous caldera! Happy birthday hubby! Wait till you see Oia! You will love it!!!! I can't wait to hear. Have fun!

Karen

Level Contributor
530 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Jo,

Your photos are spectacular! Sure, the place is gorgeous so it's hard not to get nice shots, but looking at your photos was my treat of the day!!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Absolutely stunning photos :-)

Enjoy your time in Santorini & hope your hubby has a wonderful birthday.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
244 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

I just took the ferry from Santorini to Mykonos today (windy). You took some great photos and I have some myself but admit they were not as nice as the ones you took, so great to see.

I stayed at a small hotel in Fira with views of the sea on both sides of the island but more of the lower end type. I did spend some time walking around the area you stayed and Oia a few different occasions (day and last night for an incredible dinner).

In my opinion if you are going to Santorini, doing it the way you did it with the front on views, pool, service and all that you got from your hotel is the way to do it. Look at Santorini as a once in a life time and if you have the time to go back, then that is a bonus. I hope I have that bonus and will do it the way you 2 did.

After Greece and Italy for 2 weeks, I am in France for 2 weeks with a week in Paris. I will take a look at your other postings on your blog as you seemed to love Paris.

Thanks for posting such great photos.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Fantastic photos and another great report !

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Thanks all. The wonderful trip we have had in Greece was partly due to all the great advice I got from the regulars here on the Greece TA forum.

One4fun, yes, we had decided that our splurge would be in Santorini. We stayed in modest hotels everywhere else (3 nights in Athens were on points) but we wanted to have the full Santorini experience and all our expectations were met and exceeded with Anastasis. I will be posting more about our stay later, but suffice it to say, we have never experienced service at this level before. They truly made it a once in a lifetime experience.

We are leaving for a week in Paris tomorrow........I have one more blog post on our last 2 days in Santorini, but it will have to wait until tomorrow (our flight is only at 7:40pm and the hotel has kindly allowed us to stay and use their facilities after our checkout at noon)

We have truly fallen in love with Greece and will hopefully be back next year. In addition to the spectacular scenery, food and wine, we have found the Greek people to be kind, warm and welcoming, despite the economic hardships many are experiencing. I truly hope things get better for Greece soon.

Kalispera,

Jo

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Belated happy birthday Den!

Jo, your blogs have been great and when you read this, you will already be in Paris. Hope you have a great time there as well.

Smiles & Chuckles

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Days in Santorini ~OMG!!!

Hi happy travelers. We are on hunt for. Reasonable restaurants please give me two or three ideas for santarini ty going on Wednesday.