We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAME is happening on Santorini!

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
SAME is happening on Santorini!

This is happening in Venice and all over the world right now:

…photobucket.com/user/santingela/media/35077…

Airbnb and similar rental websites are about to force long term residents leaving the island. Already there is a huge problem for businesses to find staff since there is no houses left to rent anymore, and it will be much worse.

I know of more then 10 persons this year that had to leave the house they rent. An old lady who has rented for 27 years soon has to leave her job and the island because the landlord will make it into an airbnb.

Santorini is about to drown in tourists and I won't be here to see it happening...

Ingela

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
10 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

Many areas of Greece the same, in some areas of Athens it’s impossible to find long term rent in some areas, & with most Airbnb being in apartments blocks the residents are saying it’s like living in a hotel, no community any more with the change of people very few days :(

While the concept of Airbnb is good it’s grown too much with management companies having many properties on their books, gone way beyond the original concept of people opening up their homes to travelers for a bit of extra income :(

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

This is a problem especially in the islands i believe!

In Athens it is easy to find a long term rent!

For my opinion at first the ministry of tourism should think of some rules in airbnb rentals, in order to be able to receive visitors! It should be specified from them what the specifications of a house should be in order to rent it by day. And probably an ISO whould be a good idea so the owners of the properties will offer high quality services!

From beeing involved with tourism i can see that visitors are looking for such rentals! They prefer their privacy, and have their own space "like home", eather because they are travelling with children or because they do not want to be involved with the hotel's procedures!

Anyway in Santorini we are dealing with a huge problem! Teachers, doctors, workers nobody is able to find a long term rental!

For my opinion the municipalities in places such Santorini should take some measures! There are some big and not touristic villages like vourvoulos, Karterados, Messaria etc. where they could create some blocks of flats in order to find house all these people with low rental fees , the owners of properties in Santorini will have some extra profit from their properties, taxes will be paid, the visitors will be happy from the high standards, and many other owners of shops in the local market in the less touristic places in Santorini will be glad to see their profit increasing from the people leaving in the blocks of flats! It is a win win solution!

Let's see!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

“In Athens it is easy to find long term rent”

Maybe, in areas I don’t want to be, very few in places I would consider, & so many of them are furnished these days, which I don’t want! When you eliminate all the ones that don’t fit your criteria there is much less choice than there was a few years ago :(

This I think is only going to get worse for a while in any islands or areas that are on the tourist trail,extremely difficult for small islands, but there will be a point when it is just not possible any more. You can’t have somewhere with every place filled with tourists & nowhere for any workers to live!

Edited: 12 June 2018, 19:05
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

So sad. So are hotels the better alternative to Airbnb’s then? They need to change the policies that are responsible for this.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

Jane M. If they don't do they will soon be without employees and won't be able to give good service anywhere. Hotels are renting houses for their workers right now but many house owners now believe that they will make more money by renting per day and soon won't renew the contracts. When this happens (and it will be soon) hotels are in big trouble.

I even know of a waitor in one of the taverns on Perivolos Beach that has to sleep on the beach since he can't find another place to live. He used to work in Athens but because of the economic crize so many places has closed and he has no other choice..

Ingela

Mentioned in this post
Perivolos Beach
Perivolos Beach
1,007 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

Ingela, that’s terrible! With a small island like Santorini that is so popular it does need lots of tourist accommodation, but as you say, workers are needed even more too to serve them all!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

The destruction of mass Airbnb is everywhere, this notice is so true,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

Yeah that's a problem indeed!

Many property owners prefer to rent their property by day instead of a long term rental.

But it is a free world we live in , I can not really see the problem in that, the property belongs to them.

The are able to do this because people are looking for this , many visitors want this!

So what, we will force the owners not to choose what they will do with their property, and make the visitors who are looking for such places unhappy in order to satisfy some other people?

Ingela and Yassas I can really see the problem of not available houses for long term rentals , since I live in Santorini but I really do not like what you suggest!

I have expressed my opinion and previously in this topic, and I strongly believe that this will benefit every community that will follow this path!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

Some countries only allows you to rent out the house you live in (the adress where your post is delivered) and not to overrent or own many properties that you rent out by day.The first meaning with airbnb was exactly as Yiassas mention, for people to be able to open up their homes for travellers.

I don't suggest owners not to be able to rent out their home. Nowdays many foreigners (and Greeks) buy houses to make them into private rentals. It has become a big business here and in many other countires (as mentioned). Soon there will be only locals who owns their own houses left to serve the mass tourism arriving here since no one from Athens or other places will come anymore. But do they want to work as a cleaning lady or waiter....?? If it continues, It will very soon be a disaster. Wait and see.....

Ingela

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SAME is happening on Santorini!

We go the Soller valley in Majorca. The local government have said certain areas of the island are' saturated'. So no rentals allowed without licences and they are not issuing any. Much discussion..see what happens next year.

Mentioned in this post
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Reply to: SAME is happening on Santorini!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted