We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Topic
How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Hello

I'd need some advice - We'll have 8 days for both islands, I was thinking of staying 4 nights at Mykonos to have time to relax at the beaches, also to visit Delos, and 4 nights at Santorini to explore the island. My husband bumped into a Greek acquaintance yesterday and he suggested only 3 in Mykonos and 5 in Santorini, and now I don't know what to do. Any opinions? I know it's a matter of personal liking...Would we have enough with 4 nights (well, 3 full days) in Santorini to see the "basics"? will be August so I'd better not wait too much before booking.

Thank you!

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Hi again

To put it another way, If I decide on 3 nights for Mykonos (that would leave us with 2 full days only), what should we not miss? Can I miss Delos? We'd have visited Athens and the Peloponessus by then...

Thanks again!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Hi Terry,

I would actually recommend 5 nights in Mykonos and 3 in Santorini. In terms of night life, sophistication, shopping, activities, you can do more in Mykonos. Of course, it will cost you. Mykonos is VERY expensive.

I have been to both islands for more than 4x and will be going back again to both this August. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Johnny

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

I'd suggest sticking with your original plan to spend four nights on each island. There are plenty of things to see and do on both islands, and four nights apiece would give you more than enough time to see all the "basics" or main attractions at a reasonably relaxed pace. Keep in mind that August is peak travel month for both Mykonos and Santorini, so they will be extremely busy and crowded. I think it's quite likely that if you plan to spend less than four nights on either island, you'll find yourself rushing or feeling like you must rush to see things, and wishing you'd booked more time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Donnyb makes a great point..no need stressing yourself out over 1 night...here..there...I agree that it will also give you the time to relax and get the know the isles a bit! Enjoy!

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Thank you all!

I guess I'll stick to my original plan then...You're right, I was stressing for a very silly reason! :)

Athens
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Hi,

4-4 is just perfect.

No need to be anxious about that. Mykonos and Santorini are the 2 most famous islands of Greece and both have a lot to offer. Then it depends what you want to do.

For partying all night long? Mykonos

For good accommodation? Both but I prrefer Santorini for the unique views.

For good food? Both

For shopping? Mykonos

For beaches? Mykonos

For villages? Santorini

For excursions? Both

For culture? Both

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Thanks Alexis! I guess we go for all of those...except for the partying, getting older now! ;-)

Miami
Level Contributor
911 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

I would agree with your Greek acquaintance and do 5 days in Santorini and 3 in Mykonos.

Mykonos is great, but it's more for the young because of the partying and beaches. In all actuality, it can be seen in 2 days.

Santorini has a lot to do. You can always play it by ear. So if you want to leave early or stay for more time, talk to the hotel. Greek people in the islands are very friendly and accommodating. You could work something out with them.

In Santorini, I would suggest booking a tour that goes to the ruins early in the morning by a charter bus, and then it goes to the port where you mount a boat and visit the volcano. Make sure and take plenty of bottled water, sunscreen and a hat, because it’s very hot and there is no shade. After the volcano excursion the boat takes you to the hot springs, where you jump into the water for a swim. Afterwards it takes you to the island of Thirasia where you can get a bit to eat. Finally the tour drops you off at Oia to see the magnificent sunset and then back on the bus to drop you off.

You will probably want to go back to Oia and spend some time walking around and getting lost in the streets. There are several cafes and shops to visit. Try to get a seat at one of the cafes to see the sunset.

The town of Fira is great to explore during the day and night time. You may want to pick a place to stay in Fira or nearby in Firostefani.

Make time to visit the different beaches as they are all very unique. Red Beach is a great place to spend a couple of hours. You will have to hike down a hill and through some rocks to get there. Kamari’s Black Beach is also a great place to spend some time at relaxing and eating at one of the restaurants. Perissa is also another nice beach to go and visit.

During my trip I went to Santo’s Winery which was absolutely breathtaking and I highly recommend it. It over looks the sea and has spectacular views. There you can do a wine taste test. I think for about 5 euros they give you 5 different wines to taste, a plate of cheese, crackers and olives. Across the street you can see the vineyard where the grapes grown underground.

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

Thanks a lot Elsi!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days Mykonos/Santorini?

hi.

i think 4 nights in santorini and 4 in mykonos is the perfect combination.

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos