We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike trail #1 and beach questions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
35 reviews
Hike trail #1 and beach questions

We arrive on Anafi mid September. I see there is a walking track (route 1) between Klissidi beach and Zoodochos Pighi Monastery / temple of Apollo. Can anyone provide some feedback on the walk - distance (4km?), duration excluding stops, how scenic it is, is there a bus from Klissidi to Z Pighi in order to start at the monastery? Are the views good from the road and the hike trail?

We would also like to stop at some of these beaches on the way. Any comments on the following beaches - Monastiri, Anarghyri, Meghalos Potamos, Ag Ioannis, Katsouni? Some are easier to access from the path than others (could be difficult Katalimasta/Roukounas?)

As an alternative, which beaches along this southern coast can we access by car that you would recommend. Can we take a hire car on the dirt road between the main road and Roukounas Beach (are both Mikros and Meghalos good) or do we park and walk? Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

16 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

I just found that trail #1 is 7-8km and 2.5 hours from info Retired Hippy had provided a link to.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

The only beaches I have been to are Klissidi, Roukounas and one to the east of that, and Monastiri beach.

I used the island bus from Chora. Then walked from that bus route to the beaches.

There is not much shade on Anafi thus you are walking under full sun almost all the time. There is limit for me without getting heat exhaustion.

The island bus runs the route Chora > Roukounos(junction) > Monastiri Beach and at the time a bit before Zoodochos Pigi. The hike is from there up to Kalamiotissa which is atop the monolith at the east end of the island.

Google Earth/Maps, OpenStreetMap will give you nominal distances, though it is quite rugged so routes are not straight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

I will be there around a week before you, and plan to do this also. I can't answer any of your questions yet, but we hope to make it up to the top of Kalamos if we can. The views from the top look absolutely astounding. I think we will get the bus to the monastery if possible.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

Getmetothegreek - as an Anafi newbie I havn’t read anything on Kalamos before. What is the duration of the walk from the monastery - it seems to be a major track for first half then goat trail, any steep drop offs? It sounds amazing, I will do some investigating. Please post any info on buses, your walking, experiences, what is open etc from your time on Anafi. We leave Australia this month so limited researching time once we fly out but we will have Wi-Fi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

I am a relative "newbie" too, Angel. We were there for a few days last September for the first time, and did not really walk that much, apart from to a couple of beaches east of Klissidi. All of the tavernas up in the Chora were open, as well as Margarita's at Klissidi where we stayed. A few of the bars up in the town had already closed, however.We intend to explore more extensively this year, and we will have nearly a week there this time, all being well. The hike up to Kalamos is quite long, but the drop-offs have guard rails, I believe, so very little chance of falling over the edge! The Anafi main website should tell you more.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

The hike from the monastery to the chapel of kalamiotissa takes around an hour.

Steeply uphill though.

But a must-do, with unforgettable views.

Sometime in september a festival takes place there, and any night it’s a fantastic spot to watch the sunset and to perhaps even sleep there, to watch the sun rise as well.

If you go there to watch the sunset: take a torch. The way back is an adventure in the dark.We didn’t bring a torch, but were lucky some locals guided us downhill.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 15:57
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

The Kalamiotissa festival takes place 7th or 8th of september

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

It takes about 90 min to go from Zoodochos Pigi monastry up to Kalamiotissa/Kalamos. Depends how fit you are.

The first third is easy going, the centre third is the zig-zag path up the mountainside which is pebbly and slippy, no guard rails. It gets better for the last third which is more constructed. There is bits of vague fencing, not what I would call guard rail LOL.

There is shade at the top with the church. I took my pub lunch with me and stayed a couple of hours. There are again no guard rails apart from the Church building walls. You can wander along the top to an extent. The southside is a sheer drop directly to the sea. Obviously coming down at leisure to get the bus back.

I would stay in Chora, that is where most of the population, accommodation, tavernas and transport is. The bus also connects with ferries, and you can walk down the old track easily.

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

I stand corrected with my "hopeful" guard-rails, then! Will have to assure my wife that Retired Hippy has said "Yes, of course it's perfectly safe". but don't wear your heels!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Hike trail #1 and beach questions

This YouTube video has the guard rails starring as special guests at some points. Seem even less than when I went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwEGLMrnkw

Reply to: Hike trail #1 and beach questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted