We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

Österreich
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

Hi there,

first of all, please apologize my English. I'm from Austria but the English speaking community seems to be a lot more active than the German speaking one. That's why I ask you...

We want to go from Sifnos to Paros by ferry in late August. The only direct ferry arrives too late for us (we should be in Paros at 19:00) so we will travel via Ios. We have two possibilities:

1. We book Zante Ferries which arrives in Ios at 15:00 and then take the Superrunner to Paros at 15:35.

2. We book the Hellenic Highspeed which arrives at 11:30 and then the Superrunner at 15:35 which means a waiting time for more than 4 hours!

Now to my questions:

ad 1.

Is it possible to change the ferry in Ios (how big is the port?) within 35 minutes and do you know if the Dionysos Solomos (Zante Ferries) is usually on time (reliable)?

Is it possible to buy the printed ticket for the Superrunner Ios – Paros already already in Sifnos?

ad 2.

Is it worth visiting the Chora of Ios within 3 hours?

If yes, is there a bus which goes up there regulary (midday break?) or is it easy to get a taxi anytime?

And most important: is there a possibility to leave the baggage anywhere at the port?

Any information appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Andrea

4 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

Hello Andrea and welcome to the Forum.

First off all i have to tell you that the Dionisos Solomos does not go to Ios unless you travel on a Sunday. It's an 8 hour trip from piraeus to Ios and with 3 stops (Sifnos - Folegandros and Sikinos) there is always the chance of a (small delay).

It is a small quay in Ios and I doubt that 2 big ferries can be moored there together. So as long as the Dionisos Solomos has no delay that is bigger than 15 minutes or so it should not be a problem with 35 minutes layover.

I am not dure however if you will be able to buy tickets for the Superrunner in Sifnos as they don't have an agent there. In Ios however you can buy tickets for the Superrunner in the ticket office that is just 10 meter from where you arrive and depart with the ferry.

Having said al that, I still think it's risky to do it that way. I would go for the 2nd option. That 4 hours also means you have certainly sufficient time to buy the tickets for the Superrunner and a leisurely lunch.

I would ask in the ticket office if it's possible to leave your luggage for a couple of hours. I have no idea if there are other places near where you can leave it.

You can find more about the busroutes on Ios here: iosgreeceisland.com/timetable-buses-ios-gree…

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

I wouldn't risk Zante Ferries as the connection is too tight. Ferries can easily be an hour or so late. At Ios there is only one berth for car ferries so they couldn't be there at the same time, but the Superrunner could get there first. I also don't think you'll be able to buy Golden Star tickets on Sifnos as none of their ferries call there so they won't have an agent. Buses on Ios run from the port to the Chora every 20 minutes and it only takes 5 to 10 minutes. To get back to the port you can get the bus or walk down the steps. So it would definitely possible to visit the Chora. Alternatively there's a beach a few minutes walk from the port.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,108 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

Hi,

Option 1. Won't work, or rather it is very unlikely. Far too tight a connection.

Option 2. Is far more practical in making a ferry connection.

Little point in going up to Chora at that time of day, completely dead. It is only 15 min walk up(10 min down) the classic footpath way, or take the bus. The deathly quiet is a complete contrast to the Chora atmosphere from 24:00.

Luggage you can leave at the port with the ticket agency, or even a cafe/taverna at the port. Not a problem.

I suspect you will actually want to stay on Ios, Rooms for Rent and small Hotels are in the port. Suggest you do rather than rush on to Paros.

There must be a reason for you taking a convoluted route from Sifnos to Paros, go with it...go on...

Österreich
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros

Thank you all for your answers.

After all, we decided for opt.2 to be on the save side.

Yes, we travel on a Sunday. There would be a direct ferry from Sifnos to Paros but as I mentionned before it will arrive too late for us (we have plans to meet some old friends who themselves have to leave Paros in the evening).

I already know the Chora atmosphere at night but not during the day. More than 30 (!) years ago I was in Ios for a week or so and as far as I remember I NEEDED to sleep during daytime (whether in our room or at Milopotas) ;-)

As I have a ligament rupture of my ankle at the moment, I don't know if I can use the stairs (which I can remember ) but this should be no problem as the bus goes regulary (which definitely was not the case 33 years ago)

So again, thanks to all

Andrea

Reply to: Ferry questions: Sifnos - Ios - Paros
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted