We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

We’re just coming to the end of our stay in Syros and have loved it here. We’ve stayed in Ermoupoli where we’ve enjoyed strolling around the beautiful streets, looking at the chic shops and spending the evening in quirky, tucked away bars. By day, we’ve hired a car to drive to the more secluded beaches, but have enjoyed a day at the ONO beach club.

Which other small Greek islands have a bohemian feel to them, with plenty of little back streets and beaches to explore.

To add, we didn’t really like Mykonos. Too commercial and ‘try hard’.

I look forward to reading any recommendations and planning my next holiday to Greece.

10 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

You share my love of Syros. I think the closest town to Ermoupoli (in terms of "feel") in the Cyclades is Naxos, but Naxos town is less impressive architecturally, and also far more touristic. I would actually compare Ermoupoli to areas of the mainland such as the old town of Nafplio, with it's marble streets and squares. I think the old Neorian shipyard also gives more character to the port, although some would probably call it an "eyesore". Other areas, such as Vaporia are reminiscent of the Italian riviera; some buildings remind you of Paris, and wandering past some of the crumbling ones in the backstreets, you really feel that you could be in Havana. There is nowhere in the Cyclades you could really compare it to; and Ermoupoli is a commercial hub and feels like it. It's not reliant on seasonal overseas tourists either, and long may it remain that way. We are returning ourselves in a few weeks at the start of our trip.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 13:02
London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question (I got too enthused!). Go back to Syros! You may also enjoy parts of Athens as we do.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,887 posts
3. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

You don't have to stick to the Cyclades. There are many islands in other parts of the Aegean that might fit the bill. If I didn't go back to my favourite island in the Cyclades every year, I might be looking at somewhere like Chios.

London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

Good shout from Heimdall, and interestingly, many refugees from the Chios (the "mastic" island) massacres made their way to Syros. It was these people who founded Ermoupoli, and many merchants, traders and shipping owners with extensive links built their neoclassical homes there. Previously, the main settlement was up in Ano Syros.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 13:43
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,887 posts
5. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

There is something to be said for adopting a small island as your "second home". If you keep going back to Syros you will be remembered, and begin to make friends who live there or visit at the same time every year.

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
176 reviews
6. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

We're going to Syros for the first time in a couple of weeks and hope we enjoy it as much as Sifnos our current favourite.

Have a look at Sifnos ... it's a beautiful island with great food. Kamares is the main beach town and port but the inland villages a short bus ride away are good places to visit. The bus service is very good and there are lots of nice walks too. May not be as lively as Ermoupoli but you would have a lovely holiday.

Poynton,Stockport
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

I agree with mathsboffin. Sifnos is lovely and in some ways it felt more Greek to me than Syros. I really enjoyed Ermoupoli but wasn't at all keen on Galissas.

Enjoy choosing

Michelle

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

I’m back in England now and researching all of your recommendations- thank you for your advice! We will certainly start in Athens, and then move to one or two islands elsewhere for some exploring and relaxation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

Best to save Athens for last JLP, then fly back from there. We always have a couple of nights there at the end of our trips.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,794 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?

GetmetotheGreek mentions Naxos on an earlier thread it may or may not be for you as I think Naxos is larger. However, I just walk around the town and areas within walking distance and try to give an insight of the place in picture form. The trip report is in three parts to fit it all in and is on Page 2 of the Naxos forum.

You are welcome to see it if it helps in anyway

Reply to: If we loved Syros...where else should we go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted