We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

We are 4 persons will be arriving Heraklion ferry on October 2019 in late evening around 21:30 by seaway from Santorini to our timeshare Resort for 8 days at Creta Suite - Koutsounari,Lerapetra , we will not renting a car, due to we don't know left hand drive's car.

Just wanted to know more details to smoothest our trip as below:

1) What is the Heraklion ferry terminal's name & what is the distance between Heraklion Airport?

2) Any Buses pick up at Heraklion Ferry and travel to Creta Suite -Koutsounari,Lerapetra in the late evening? How much it costs?

3) Also we will by fly back to Athens, any bus to go to Heraklion Airport from my resort? what is the bus route number?

4) Any buses to getting around Crete & hopping the Island?

Any expertise, your advice & info is appreciated.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
7 replies to this topic
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

1. Heraklion port is just called Heraklion. It is about 5-10 minutes walk from there to bus station A, which is the one for all points east (including Ierapetra, which note is spelt with an i not an l.) It is about 5km from the port to the airport.

2. Here is the current timetable:

https:/…

As you can see the last bus is much too early for you. The fare from Heraklion to Ierapetra is €12, so €48 each way for 4. Then you have to get to your resort, which is about 8km from Ierapetra.

A taxi from the port to your resort would be €108 if pre-booked.

https://herakliotaxi.com/price-list/

3. All buses from Ierapetra back to Heraklion pass through Heraklion airport. They don't have service numbers, just destinations on the front.

4. In general the bus service on Crete is very good. However, you are in an isolated spot. There are a few services from Ierapetra listed on here near the bottom of the page:

but October is near the end of the tourist season so they may not all be running then.

I strongly recommend you hire a car for at least part of your holiday, with 4 of you it will soon pay for itself. In October you should be able to get a car with full insurance from a reputable company from €25 a day.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

Hi, Steve

Thank you very much for your reply & help

I still have something not clear about:

1) Is the bus stop in front of the Resort? or we need to walk far with luggage?

2) If hire a car, is the road busy ? or easy to drive?

3) Can we pick up at the Port and returned at the Airport?

4) Which reputable company from €25 a day with full insurance? P/S recommend.

5) Do I need an International driving License or just our country License in English wording ?

Once again Thank you.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

1. I don't know, but I suspect there will be a good walk uphill. The resort is inland and the bus probably takes the lower road. But there won't be any buses running near late at night, so you would have to get a taxi anyway, unless you were to stay in Heraklion for the first night.

2. It's a fairly easy drive to Ierapetra, along the national highway for most of it then south through the hills to Ierapetra. However, you are travelling late at night in the dark, which isn't ideal.

3. That shouldn't be a problem.

4. Companies often recommended on here include the following:

auto rentals crete

anna cars crete

athens cars crete

They will all offer genuine 100% insurance with no excess. There are many other reputable companies, but please do not be tempted by very cheap offers; often you will find that the insurance is not all it seems when you pick up the car.

5. I'm pretty sure you will need an IDL/IDP

Edited: 11 June 2018, 22:08
Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

I'm sorry, I've just realised the link in my first post to the bus timetables is the wrong page for the Ierapetra buses. They are here:

Mentioned in this post
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

Thank you very much for your Info

I think I'll by Flight to Heraklion instead of by ferry to reach early in day time to exploring Crete. about the local bus Is it stop at Ierapetra or Koutsounari, what is the difference between this two? which place is the correct to stop at Creta Suite? any other suggetion sightseeing for us to explore during our stay.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

Are you aware that you will not get to see much of Crete if you stay in that location without you own transport?

Creta Suites is about 10 km from Ierarpetra. It is about 800 metres from the main road and bus stop, and 1,200 metres from the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort

Thank you for your message

Reply to: Public Transportation to Creta Suite Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted