We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Crete this time round

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
West Crete this time round
Save

I am contemplating returning to Crete after having visited nearly 2 years ago when I stayed in Gouves, to the east of Heraklion.

I actually wouldn't mind returning to Gouves again however I'd like to experience the west side and visit places like chania and rethymno. Can anyone recommend an area to stay in west crete that would have good access to these places via the public bus network for day trips. Ideally I'd like a laid-back place on the coast like gouves that was great to unwind in the evening with plenty of restaurants and so on. Would be great if it had good beaches and access to some hiking trails. I wouldn't be interested in visting the capital again so would rather be stationed on the west within sight of the main cities and airport.

As I won't have my own transport I will value highly the ease of public transport (I was impressed by the bus network during my first visit when I visited ag nik and heraklion).

11 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
41,252 posts
435 reviews
1,870 helpful votes
1. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Have a look at Georgioupolis which would be perfect for what you are looking for https://youtu.be/78pFlkT7Npw

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
2. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

As you enjoyed Gouves then I also think Georgioupolis would be a good choice this time.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 03:38
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
14,600 posts
79 reviews
99 helpful votes
3. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Yes, I agree too.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Have a look at this website for a good description of Georgioupolis and the other coastal resorts, towns and villages in western Crete.

https://www.west-crete.com/holidays-georgioupolis.htm

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
222 reviews
206 helpful votes
5. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Yes agree with the others that Georgioupolis would be a good choice for you

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Great shout everyone, Georgioupolis. Seems to tick all the boxes. Many thanks.

Really looking forward to returning to the island but will leave any booking til nearer my holiday dates (potentially in October) and will make an assesment of the situtation then.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

You’re welcome Mr M - enjoy your trip!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,252 posts
435 reviews
1,870 helpful votes
8. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

You are very welcome :-)

Norway
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
112 reviews
67 helpful votes
9. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Yes, have a great time! Georgioupolis is a very pleasant place to stay, and it's easy catching buses both eastwards and westwards.

If you travel in October, I suggest you go in the first half, before places start shutting down. The hotel I'll be staying at next month will close on October 17th. But perhaps others will stay open longer in order to prolong the season that started so late this year?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,252 posts
435 reviews
1,870 helpful votes
10. Re: West Crete this time round
Save

Some do stay open until the end of October Catwoman even in a normal season.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 22:17
Reply to: West Crete this time round
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.