We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Santorini in April

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

Hello community,

I am just starting to plan a trip around Greece in April 2022, and I'm wondering if there are ferrys to Santorini in that time of the year ? (either from Heraklion / Rethymno / Chania)

I've seen that SeaJets has some trips at morning, but I heard that many things were not available in April (it would be 10 days before orthodox easter), and I could not find the information of whether these ferries were available throughout the year or if it's just at summer season.

Thank you very much for your insights !

Cheers

5 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Dodecanese, Kavala, Samos
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
29 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

Crete to Santorini is a summer route with Seajets and Minoan Lines. This year Seajets started on 16 April but only with a limited service. Minoan Lines only does this route in high season.

The only certainty is the Prevelis from ANEK LInes that does Heraklion to Santorini once a week all year round as part of their Rhodes->Piraeus route.

There are no ferries from Chania to Santorini.

Seajets also started this week with Sitia -> Agios Nikolaos -> Santorini twice a week but it's only for a short period and it's not known if they will do this route next year. And if they do it will probably be only in summer.

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

Thanks so much for this super quick and detailed answer.

That's a bummer... I won't be able to rely on the Anek lines if it's only once per-week (currently on Sundays based on what I see in their page, but I guess this could perhaps be different by then).

What you're saying sounds like I shouldn't count on a Crete-Santorini route to plan my trip.

Is it the same with ferries from Crete to Athens, or are these routes all year long ?

Instead of doing Crete -> Santorini -> Athens, maybe I should rather do Crete -> Athens -> Santorini. It's a bit longer, but at least maybe I would be certain to find routes available in that season ?

Thanks again

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Dodecanese, Kavala, Samos
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
29 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

Crete to Athens (Piraeus) is all year round from both Heraklion and Chania with Minoan Lines and Attica Group (Blue Star Ferries, ANEK Lines, Superfast & Hellenic Seaways consortium).

The ferries from Chania leave from Souda which is about 8KM from the pld port of Chania.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 03:47
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

At that time of year you are on the main all year ferry routes.

For Crete those are daily overnight services Piraeus <> Heraklion, Piraeus <> Chania.

The Preveli is up to twice a week from Santorini <> Crete if you include Heraklion and Sitia. The mid week one misses Heraklion. At least that seems to be the current routing.

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: Ferry to Santorini in April
Save

Thanks a lot to both of you for your replies.

As usual, we can get better info with informed TA contributors than on the web ! :)

Before posting here, I had seen a ferryscanner page https://www.ferryscanner.com/en/ferry-routes/ferry-tickets-from-heraklio-to-thira-santorini saying that daily Heraklion-Santorini routes were available all year long, with 13 routes per-week in low season, but I had a doubt on whether I could trust it or not.....I understand now that their "low season" includes May and October, and that's maybe why they get these numbers.

Cheers !

Edited: 23 August 2021, 14:46
Reply to: Ferry to Santorini in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.