We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals please help - X97 bus

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Topic
Locals please help - X97 bus

I'm posting this on the off-chance that there are some locals around with intimate knowledge of Dafni / Aghios Dimitrios area...

I'm trying to work out the location of the second stop for the X97 bus from Dafni to the airport. The departure point is (presumably) at Kalogiron Square, the second stop after that is at Strofi Ilioupoleos. According to oasa.gr the middle stop is Darzenta, but I can't work out which one that is! Is it the one nearest to the metro station, between Panagitsa and Elka?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

X97 is stopping on "Darzenta" stop on its way TO the airport and "Elka" stop on its way back FROM the airport.

Examining the "Southern Suburbs" map, found in Service info -> Maps, i am getting Darzenta stop is between Elka and Panagitsa. Map takes ages to load but includes all stops / all changes. Part you are referring is top part of the map at left.

On Google it's like this: http://tinyurl.com/X97-airportbus

Uptill now i thought Elka and Darzenta is the exact same stop, just other sides of the avenue. Examining the map it seems Darzenta is actually 200 - 220 before.

I would not put a bet on it, still it seems Darzenta is, as you say, between Elka and Panagitsa.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

Still i don't get why X97 should stop 200 meters before the subway escalators.

Other online sources say that Darzenta is the cluster of stops right in front of Aghios Dimitrios escalators ( opposite Elka ), OASA map shows it 200 meters before though ( between Panagitsa and Elka ).

These two spots are 200 meters one from other, appx. 2 mins walk.

I have put a yellow line on the Google map. X97 stop is either end of this yellow line.

Edited: 17 April 2010, 14:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

I think your other sources must be right, I can't imagine that they would place the X97 stop on its own either. There is a cluster of stops right next to the Aghios Dimitrios escalators, that's where I imagine Darzenta is, although I'm not sure.

There are two sets of escalators at Aghios Dimitrios, one closer to Elka, the other next to the stop before Elka (which we're deciding must be Darzenta). Maybe that's where the confusion stems from. It doesn't look right on the Google map, the stops aren't next to a park, they're in front of a built up area, sort of where the taxis are parked. If I remember correctly, they're diagonally opposite Lidl, which must be the red roof building.

There are definitely two Elkas, that's why I can't figure out why the X97 bus would stop at Elka on one side and Darzenta on the other. Maybe they don't line up?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

Check the Google map again, i changed it.

Reson these two stops have differnet names is that these are actually different avenues. It's the exact point where Vouliagmanis splits in two smaller roads.

What i understand, and the most logical is that X97 stops at either side of the subway. It's just called Darzenta one side, Elka other side.

Why? Well, the big building in front of the station at "go" side is actually owned by a guy named Darzentas :)) Sure thing.

You can read more here: greece-athens.com/metro/agios-dimitrios.php

Misunderstanding perhaps comes exactly from what you say, re: escalators. It's one escalator one side, two escalators though on side we are talking about.

I 'll check it in bing in a minute :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,973 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

I wish I'd seen this before! Our friend who lives in Aghios Dimitrios has just left our house, but he's travelling by motorbike so I can't ring him. If he calls later I will ask!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

I am placing a bet OASA map is inaccurate and Darzenta stop is in front of the Northern escalators, at the corner of Vouliagmenis and Amalias.

Reason for having two different stop names for the same spot is that it's indeed different avenues.

Bing maps has a very detailed aerial view of the area.

Check here:

http://tinyurl.com/BingAghiosDimitrios

Edited: 17 April 2010, 15:23
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

But... there are Elkas on both sides and Darzentas also on both sides. I suspect the Elka on one side lines up with the Darzenta on the other, whereas the other Darzenta lines up with Panagitsa - if that makes sense?

Interesting info re: the origin of the name Darzenta, I knew about Elka, but had no idea that Darzenta was also a building. You learn a new thing every day :-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

Its been a while since i took the bus to the airport from Dafni ,but if memory serves correctly the stop is at Amalias.It does not mean that the bus will stop there exactly,since everybody and his mother stops there, and the taxi stand is closer to the metro ,which adds to the mess.Darzenta was (still is?) a factory of some sort ,and has been there for ever.I think it was(is) a clothing or thread place.(κλωστο - υφαντουργειο)..........I think,not sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

Thanks, Barcha! Do you remember if it's in a cluster of other bus stops and within easy walking distance of one of the metro exits? That's my main concern, that the correct stop will be hard to find, but if it's in a cluster it won't be too bad.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Locals please help - X97 bus

OK ,i am guessing ,but it seems to me that you are taking the metro and connecting with X97 at Agios Dimitrios to go to the airport.If so ,then this is the wrong station to connect at , Dafni is the one you want.

To answer your question the distance from the metro to the bus is about 80 yards at the most, if the bus stops at the side of Amalias furthest to the metro.

If you are doing this at a busy time of the day be very careful,because the real danger i believe will not be finding the stop ,but avoiding being run over by a bus or taxi/car .There are buses trying to approach the stops,cars and taxis turning from Amalias south to Glyfada,taxis trying to go close(merging over from the left lane) to the metro to pick up passengers,and the motorcycles and cars coming like a bat out of hell over the hill on Vouliagmenis, and going downhill towards the metro.

Ok ok ,its not that bad but be careful.

Dafni is a much easier connecting point,and when you come up the escalator there you are practically facing the bus stop which will be at your two o'clock as you come up the Stringari exit.It is the stop right next to the pedestrian crossing. You can see the crossing lines right in the middle of the buss stop cluster there.You cannot miss it.

If this is what you are trying to do .... which I thing it is........Ok maybe.