We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taverna suggestions?

Serbia
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Taverna suggestions?

Some advices about good tavernas in those two areas of the city: 1. around National Archeological museum; 2. around Benaki Museum ? Something that is preferred by the locals with say Greek traditional food, souvlakia and seafood or so.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taverna suggestions?

On the day we went to the National Archaeologcal Museum last September, we ate at their very pleasant cafe, which has some outdoor seating in a very nice garden area.

The afternoon we went to the Benaki Museum last month, we purchased wonderful pies from the Ariston Bakery near Syntagma Square and dined al fresco by the curtain wall fountain on the north side of the Square. Just thinking of the amazing mushroom pie makes my mouth water!

Well, neither are tavernas, so probably not a very responsive answer, but writing it brought back very good memories.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Actually, I have read several recommendations on this board for the cafe at the Benaki, with its pleasant views, but we had already dined when we got there.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taverna suggestions?

I also vote for the cafe. It could be really better offering warm plates too still, it is a nice cafe in.

If this is a sumemr visit, doing your museum visit in during the hottest times of the day ( let's say in the time span from 11am to 6pm ) will offer you maximum use of the ac. Being in a museum during Athenian hot midday is a lways a great idea. Second greatest is having a midday siesta :) and third greatest is being aside a pool :)

So, if heading for the museum in midday, use their cafe facilities and then have a dinner later perhaps in Monastiraki or Plaka.

Same applies for Benaki which has a nice restaurant in. Not a tverna but nice to grab a cofee or have a salad or a pasta and so. If i wanted a more "restaurant feeling" meal i would probably go to Syndagma or Plaka by subway and then walk a bit. Both areas are reachable on a short subway hop.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Here's one I have not seen mentioned: Platanos (just off Mysicleos on Diogenous street, in the platia). I believe it's right around the corner from the Tower of the Winds. This was an old restaurant, but we ate there several times, on several different visits, and it was always good -- Is it still there?

It was next door to the Greek Music Museum -- yet ANOTHER Athens museum you might enjoy. This is a fun place that will make any lover of Greek music smile, hum, and dance! You can wander around listening to different instruments and styles of music through headphones at each exhibit. And it's FREE!

Museum of Popular Musical Instruments

1-3 Diogenes St

Plaka

Hours:

Tuesday, Thursday-Sunday: 10.00-14.00

Wednesday: 12.00-18.00

Monday: closed

Admission: free

Serbia
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Cinti: yes, Ariston was great (I was there few years ago). Is that mushroom pie also made there?

Serbia
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Thanks for the answers. Well, either being a taverna or not, I just thought about dropping in between two museums in an area (if available) and have some fish or other seafood, kebab or so, and continue to the second venue. But seems that some pies to go, by Ariston or like, might be enough for a quich lunch.

Some off-topic: I might be interested in some Greek/Athinean sweets (like some kind of domestic cookies or like) that I could get in a sealed package and bring home in the checked in luggage.

Any recommendation of a backery/shop/market within the city to get something like that? I'd buy some 4-5 kilos of various stuff incl. 'bonbones' (bombons, not bombs :-))

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Ah, you want "glikia" -- sweets! A very important thing to most Greeks (adults and children alike). You'll find them at a "zacharo-plastion," the sugar shops... I am sure some of the regulars here can guide you to some good ones.

Items that will travel well might include Pasteli (the original energy bar... a chewy candy made from sesame seeds and honey), loukoumia (a confection made from starch and sugar and the occasional nut, and flavored with rosewater or lemon), or various types of cookies.

I am sure if you tell the shopkeeper you wish to take them home to share, they will help you select those that travel best. And the shops I have been in will wrap them beautifully with tissues and ribbons. They always look more like a fancy wedding gift than something you've brought home to eat!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Re: your inquiry whether the mushroom pies are made at Ariston. I assume that all the pies are made there because they are called Ariston Bakery. Although all pieces were being cut from big bakery trays, they were all warm (versus being popped into a microwave). The place was doing a fantastic business selling these pies.

Athens DE's: is that a naive assumption?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Near Benaki Museum, I would highly recommend Alatsi. It's behind Hilton (10 minutes walk from Benaki) and it has traditional Cretan food.Excellent option for a light (or not) lunch.

http://www.alatsi.gr/

For a place with many sweet options, head to Hatzis on Mitropoleos Street (across the street from the big post office of Syntagma). It has the biggest variety and excellent quality as well.

The pies are made in Ariston. You won't see a microwave in most places in Athens.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taverna suggestions?

Thanks, Thalia.

So why now is there a picture of what looks like the Great Wall of China (very, very teensy) by my name when I post? I never have been there, and, at least, a European picture, where I actually travel, would have been appreciated! :))