We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens airport and not connected flights

Baltics
1 post
Athens airport and not connected flights

Hello!

In October I'm going to a trip from Riga via Athens to Santorini, from Riga to Athens by AirBaltic and from Athens to Santorini by Aegean Airlines (so the flights are not "connected flights" and have separate e-tickets). Time between flights is going to be 1 hour and 50 minutes - 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to Aegean Airlines check-in.

Questions:

- Do I have to go to the arrival zone and "out" when I arrive at Athens to make another check-in or can I make check-in in the passengers' zone? (In case I have only hand baggage.)

- Is it possible to get from one flight to the other in time when after landing I have to get back my given-away baggage?

Of course I have more time if I have had hand baggage only through these flights but may be my friend is going to take some extra things for him that can't be put in the hand baggage...

I've been in Athens airport before but not with not connected flights. I have absolutely no idea how big this airport is or how to manage my flights. :(

(Sorry for mistakes in my English.)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

Hello and welcome to the forums!

You will need to go to the departures and check in, whether you carry hand luggage only or you have checked luggage as well.

1hr and 50 mins is a little tight. Not very, but it is tight.

Keep in mind that from touch down to exit of arrivals you will need at least 40 minutes. More if you have checked luggage. Even more if your plane is not assigned a tube and/or is parked near the satelite terminal and you have to wait for a bus to take you to the main building.

(Your English is perfect!)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
2. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

If you have only hand luggage, then you can do an internet check in {since you have an e ticket with Aegean} and print out your boarding pass, go straight to the departure gate 30 minutes prior.

Of course, if you have luggage to collect, this will delay you, and you will have to deposit your luggage at check in although you can still do an internet check in, which will still save you a little time at the check in where all you have to do is deposit luggage/.

Aegean have a special couner for e check in, and this does help as well.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
3. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

<special counter>

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
221 reviews
4. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

I have 2 hours between the arrival on a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt and departure on an Olympic flight. How will that be for time?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
5. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

seems fine Mike, so long as there are no delays in arrival from Frankfurt. You are flying Lufthansa, that's good,lessens the chance of any delays - {IMO, Europe's finest airline}

Anyway, Olympic have e check in too. So, do an internet check in before you arrival, and upon arrival, deposit your luggage at e check in drop off counter for Olympic. If you're flying Lufthansa, see if they can do a luggage check in to your final destination within Greece {doesn't hurt to ask!} but still do an e check in to save time.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
1,112 reviews
6. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

Note that with Aegean even with hold luggage you can still check in online from 24 hours before the flight AND leave you bags at the fast bag drop off check-in counter. Generally luggage does not take all that long to come off a plane and into baggage reclaim at Athens airport

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

Hi, I've done that many times, and you should be okay unless your first flight is very late. You will arrive on the lower level, get your passport stamped, then pick up your bags. If you head out towards the ground transportation / taxi area, take the elevator upstairs to the departures area, and check in as usual. You will go back thru the shopping area down to your departure gate, and on the lower level you will go thru security before arriving at your gate. It shouldn't be a problem, Athens airport is pretty well run and the lines won't delay you.

8. Re: Athens airport and not connected flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 10:47