We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

Three women traveling together in July. Our itinerary is set and rooms booked. We are looking for suggestions of things not to miss along our route. We would love to visit more "undiscovered" places along with seeing the expected. We are always looking for more "authentic" experiences rather that touristy experiences.

We have scheduled two days in each location:

Loutraki

Delphi

Kalampaka

Monodendri

Kastoria

Ohrid, FRYOM

CHALKADIKI/Nea Fokaia(3 nights)

Athens (3 nights)

Any suggestions about these specific areas plus anything along the route (we have a car) would be very much appreciated. We are open to pretty much anything, we are photographers, we are interested in some walking/ mild hiking and we would possibly like to attend a church service somewhere (Sundays in Delphi, Kastoria and Athens)

Thanks so much!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,988 posts
1. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

Do you mean two days IN each location or 2 days FOR each location including travelling between the places? If the latter then you don't have time to do much really as you will be on the road most of the time. Distances in Greece are deceptive & roads can be slow going. Even with the 2 days each place not including the to-ing & fro-ing you are not going to get much experience of the places listed other than ticking boxes.

Also I very much doubt you can take your hire car into FYROM - very unlikely the hire company will allow cross border travel & you will probably be refused entry anyway even if you try. To cross the border without permission would be a criminal act. Check this NOW with your hire company!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

It is really frustrating.

If you are interested in beauty why choose Loutraki

when there are so many other options

Peloponnese

. www.mythicalpeloponnese.gr/en/homepage/ .

Nafplion

. http://www.nafplio.gr/en/sightsmenu.html .

Greece

, http://www.visitgreece.gr/.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 00:13
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

Here is how Loutraki looks like . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loutraki .

But given all the answers you were given at previous topics and what you ended up with ,

I think you just don't listen to others

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

tsipouro,

Yes, I meant two nights in each place, including travel.

Thanks for the heads up regarding FYROM. I actually already have an email to my rental agency regarding this question. I would like clarification about what you mean

" & you will probably be refused entry anyway even if you try. To cross the border without permission would be a criminal act."

Do you mean crossing with out the car hire agency permission or the country itself won't allow us entry???

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
5. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

Aldro,

You seem to have assumed some things based on this most recent question. This is only part of our trip.

We chose Loutraki simply because we will have traveled 22-24 hours to arrive in Greece and we needed a place that we could reach easily outside of Athens so we can adjust to the time difference and recover from the long flight. We plan to rest, go to the spa, and see some of Corinth.

After the above mentioned trip we will spend 10 days in Rhodes and then another 12 in the Peloponese. Thank you for the Nafplio (2 days there) and Peloponese links. All suggestions are welcome, but of course we will choose destinations and times that work for our group.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 02:47
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,988 posts
6. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

To cross without hire company permission would be a breach of T & Cs & would invalidate your insurance & even risk arrest for theft! FYROM may not let you enter & if they do Greece may not allow you to return. Of course this is worst case scenario & depends how much risk you are willing to take. Only the hire company can give definite answers.

So with 2 days for each place you don't have time to do much as you spend only one day in each place between 2 nights. Every other day will be spent in the car. No time there for hiking, local experiences or getting off the beaten track. You need a serious rethink on this itinerary if you want to really discover Greece.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

You wouldn't get a car into FYROM without a Green Card and your hire company won't give you one. End of story.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

I'm confused by this and would love for someone to explain it to me if you wouldn't mind.

I read some things right here on trip advisor about Ohrid which is what interested us in the first place. It seems to me that people have done something similar in the past (traveled between Greece and FYROM with a hire car) and talked about how wonderful it was. What am I missing? Is it dangerous? Are there problems between the countries? Are rental cars at particular risk for theft? I really want to understand this

"You wouldn't get a car into FYROM without a Green Card and your hire company won't give you one. End of story."

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
9. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

tsipouro,

I appreciate your thoughts and I respect your oninion. I have read many of your posts and have appreciated each and everytime you have responded to one of my questions.

We have calculated (with the help of atleast two different websites) the drive time between destinations so we are aware of that limitation. I have driven in other areas of Greece and understand that it won't be "like home". This will possibly the only time some members of our group get to Greece so we want to see as much as possible which will mean long days. Fortunately we will experience the long days of summer so we will have more hours each day to see and doing things.

Will this be a leisurely stroll through mainland Greece? No, but that doesn't mean we won't have time to stop and smell a rose or two, have a frappe in a small village, and have a friendly chat with a local. My original question was simply asking where that village might be.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,988 posts
10. Re: Mainland Greece itinerary. What not to miss?

No-one here needs to explain re taking a car to FYROM. As already indicated you need to get the information/permission direct from the hire company. It is their car & to remain within the law you need to comply with their T & Cs. We regulars here come across situations/questions like this many many times & it would not be helpful to NOT point out possible flaws in someone's plans.

Maybe someone has crossed illegally into FYROM & got away with it. This does not justify encouraging everyone else to follow their example.

I am unable to suggest places to visit along your route as it is not a way I travel & anywhere I might be able to suggest requires more time than you have to spare IMHO once you have allowed for already scheduled journeys & presumably at least a few hours allocated to eating & sleeping. I personally would not stay just 2 nights in several successive places if I wanted to hike, explore & make the most of photo opportunities. But that is just me, so unfortunately I am not able to offer the input you require. Best to check a map & see which places you will be passing near & just make a note to slot them into your route if there is time.

And please do come back & tell us how it all went. Kalo taxidi.