We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone could help me chose which island to explore...

The big question is Santorini or Crete, I am going crazy thinking about it and hopefully this post will help....

I only have about 6 days for an island, I was going to do both, but I think it will just be way too rushed...

Any thoughts?

thankyou sooo much ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

6 days are probably too many for Santorini, definitely too few for Crete. Still, you don't have to see the whole of Crete, in which case 6 days would be enough to explore the Chania area and perhaps take a day trip to Knossos. Similarly, you could find things to do/places to go if you're in Santorini for all 6 days. It really depends on what YOU are most interested in (which we don't know) and when you're going (ditto). Perhaps if you gave us some more info, we could help you :-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,090 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Hi,

As there's only your user name to go on it's got to be Crete, no contest really. There's a lot to see on Crete, wealth of archeological sites, beaches, scenery, hikes, mountains. Thus it suits quite a variety of interests. 6 days is simply not enough to give you any idea of the Greek Islands. So, for a one island sample, Crete beats every other island out of sight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Hey and welcome BeachBummy0:-) It would certainly help to know when you are going..and what your interests are..what you're looking to do/experience! Both isles would certainly fit the bill..Crete w/a specific destination, more or less..it's huge;-) With 5 nights you'd certainly get to see and 'feel' Santorini pretty well settling 'in' so to speak and getting into the 'pace'..if that's what you're looking to do! I spend well over a week there and can certainly handle more time..We're all different so it's really down to you and your priorities coming the distance! Happy planning..and EnjoY!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Wow, everyone is so nice and helpful, sorry I should have been more thorough in my description, guess I am a little too excited..

Well basically we watn a littl bit of everything, I know I know, lol greedey, but I just want to enjoy the experience in as many ways as we can,

We definiitely want beaches, to relax, and mabye up for a little adventure like renting a scooter....

My mom really wants to go to Santorini, but there is so much to do in Crete, its been a hard choice for us... so any help would be awesome any ideas.

I am interested in a little character as well not just to go on a crowded beach with a ton of people and forget why we went on vacation in the first place, I dont care too much for a party I live in Toronto one of the biggest party capitals of the world.....

I want to be able to say " OMG, loook how beautiful this is"

also if you do suggest which Island can you include which town to stay in?

Is it fairly easy to go from town to town?

thanks everyone :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

ohh ooops and I am going middle of September

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

Hey again:-) Well, you'll certainly get the ' Wow' factor in Santorini..and the beaches in Crete;-) You can always fly into Chania for thr 3 nights..then you'd need to head over to Heraklion to get the ferry to Santorini for a couple of nights?! It's pushing it for sure..but worse has been done..lol;-)) Again, really a personal call here..you can't have it 'all' with only 5 nights.. prefs/ priorities must rule;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

hey, thanks so much for your response :)

Umm I think we might be leaning more toward Santorini at this point. but I think we might get greedy and go to Crete for 2 days....Do you know how long the ferry is from santo to crete?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

I'm with Litsa. Fly to Chania, go to Herakleion for the ferry, spend the last couple of days in Santorini, fly back. Chania and Santorini both have "OMG, look how beautiful this is" looks. Herakleion doesn't.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

My pleasure:-) Well, the ferry ride is to/from Heraklion for Santorini..can take as little as a couple of hours depending on vessel..but..it you're looking for the beaches, etc..that's further out..Heraklion is more a mega-metropolis than a quaint isle village..lol!! Unless you're looking to get some sites in (Knossos) for example..would rethink..and head first to Chania via flight..then work your way to Heraklion for the ferry!! Your call of course, but would research Heraklion before making any decisions;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini VS Crete with only 6 Days

hmmm, I think I have decided to stay in Santorini for the majority of the time, going to Oia and Kamari, renting a scooter and exploring the island, I have a flight from Chania to Italy, so I have to go to Crete to cath my plane...

Was thinking of going to Balos beach in Chania.... then leaving from there

sound good?

thanks again :)